The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fish the james river, I use 10 oz weights on a slider.i always notice my line is frayed near the knot.i was wondering if changing to a rubber stopper instead of a bead might help.i realize the sinker sliding up and down doesn't help things.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,171 Posts
Yes, The softer rubber will eliminate all of the fray at the knot. Hard plastic beads just don't make sense when used to protect the knot.

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
I have used these RUBBER beads for years. Hard plastic beads do nothing to protect a knot and I believe do more damage than the sinker itself does. The rubber bumpers like Team Catfish work but are not very thick and are very expensive. I don't like being taken advantage of. I tried some of the soft, inexpensive products used in sewing but found them to be too small and too soft.

Here are the beads I tried and really like. They are made from rubber, you can feel them give slightly when squeezed in the fingers and come in a variety of sizes from 3mm to 12mm and the cost is executable at $11 and change for 200 large rubber beads instead of 9 or 10 bumpers for $3.50. Big difference between 6cents apiece and 35 cents apiece.

I can not remember what size I purchased, but I think it was 10mm or 12mm. I like a larger bead. And the picture will help with the size.

Just my 16 cents as pictured.

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
Yes there is a choice of sizes. Older fingers like larger swivels, I use minimum size of 1/0 but much prefer 2/0. The beads are the same for me. The small opening in smaller beads are difficult for these old eyes to see. So I tend to go larger.

Having the option on size and color is a good thing though.

Tight lines D

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
Several probably don't realize that these are rubber but that is why I like them. I do have some hard plastic beads I can use as glitter on lures but they go on a wire shaft not fishing line.

I make my own sinkers so am aware that they need to be examined and dressed up on occasion.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Tom I got a chuckle out of reading your post, couple weeks ago, out of frustration I handed my daughter my line and said " put that line through that darn bead!!!" I couldn't even see the hole, let alone try to snake that line through it lololol!!!

Ive got to get some of them rubber beads, I use the cheapo plastic ones and I have noticed that they arent working like I had hoped they would.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 4 different diameter vacuum hoses and I just cut them into 3/8 inch or so pieces depending on the knot size and line diameter. They make great knot protectors and you can cut them to size. A foot of vacuum line makes about 30 or so. I'm cheap lol. I'll buy something 1 time figure out how it works then design my own lol. It saves my money over the course of a year.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Tom I got a chuckle out of reading your post, couple weeks ago, out of frustration I handed my daughter my line and said " put that line through that darn bead!!!" I couldn't even see the hole, let alone try to snake that line through it lololol!!!
I too struggle with getting the line through bumpers and small panfish hooks, tiny ice jigs are impossible. Getting the cheap wire type needle threader worked for me, they can be found in the sewing dept. at WM or DG locally. They are kind of fragile so I buy two or three at a time. Old eyes and shaky hands, not a good combination for precision work.

·
Banned
79 Posts

Ive got to get some of them rubber beads, I use the cheapo plastic ones and I have noticed that they arent working like I had hoped they would.
I use cheapy plastic beads as well...my wife got a ton of them at the craft store and I "appropriated" a handful of the dark red ones. They have a really big hole in them and it actually slides down over the knot and kinda secures there...which is fine for me....the knot is not getting beat up by the slider.

but yeah

my eyes are going too....

I struggle to tie on 1/64 ounce jigs to 4 and 6 pound line....kinda frustrating sometimes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts