Franklin's "Koon" Ultimate Fishing Toon Project

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Koon, Apr 30, 2007.

  1. Koon

    Koon New Member

    Messages:
    167
    State:
    Oklahoma
    Ok…. I gave up on the 1999 bass tracker 16’ aluminum bass boat due to size and limitations on people I can bring fishing. It was a great starter boat but my mind is set on a pontoon project. It was just a matter of time before the right pontoon came along. My wife put the kibosh on several boats I was interested in during the Fall of 06’. Finally I found a great deal on another that I wasn’t going to let go. This led to a few heated discussions but finally after some tight negotiating I was able to pull the deal off and came home with a 1989 bass buggy DL with a mismatched 1994 evinrude. According to the titles I was the 8th owner of the boat and the 7th owner of the motor.

    The entire topside of the boat was trashed and had a hodge podge of boat furniture. It took less than 5 mins to gut the deck of all furniture except the center console. It was hard finding a center console already preconfigured on a pontoon but I finally found one. Some points which made this boat stand out…. Center console, entire deck is aluminum, motor runs good or so I thought at first… I’ll get into that in a minute, and the trailer was in really good condition. Every pontoon I’ve seen in the past in my price range and close to my location, the trailer was in really bad shape… tons of rust and even one I don’t think it would of made it out of the guys neighborhood. Anyways… back to the current pontoon. First thing I did when I bought it was take it to the lake and test run… don’t ask why I didn’t do this before the sale…. It ran good in the driveway, LOL. But on the lake it would max out at 2000rpm and then start to sputter. I thought OH GREAT… Buyer beware. Put it in the mechanic’s shop for a full checkup. I think I have found one of the best boat mechanics in the state of Oklahoma and only took me 20+ years to find one. He calls me up a few days later saying this motor just got through a complete rebuild… there was a ton of stuff new on it and even a new prop. It turns out during the rebuild they had a vacuum hose not hooked up, a part of the linkage was flipped backwards and hosed to the fuel pump reversed. I was like how the heck was this motor even running… we still can’t figure that out but after these correction and a slight tune-up this motor is running top notch. Took it to the lake for another test run and no problems… I count myself lucky on this one!

    So take it back to the house and start dismantling the boat… here are the pics
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Koon

    Koon New Member

    Messages:
    167
    State:
    Oklahoma
    More pics of the before...
     

    Attached Files:


  3. Koon

    Koon New Member

    Messages:
    167
    State:
    Oklahoma
    Carpet removal was easy but the glue removal was a pain... with patience and a belt sander it did the job. I have a full aluminum deck and the belt sander worked good... not sure I would recommend this for a wood deck.
     

    Attached Files:

  4. Koon

    Koon New Member

    Messages:
    167
    State:
    Oklahoma
    Was told by the tuff coat company to use a self etching primer for the aluminum deck before applying the non slip floor.

    I used Por15 self etching primer because there was no mixing of products. Just shake well and spray. I used an automotive sprayer with air compressor which took all of 15 mins to cover the entire deck. It was dry in 20 mins. Easy to use product.. thats for sure.
     

    Attached Files:

  5. Koon

    Koon New Member

    Messages:
    167
    State:
    Oklahoma
    Laying the layers and layers of the Ultra Tuff Coat. I used 4 gallons of this product for my project. I finally achieved about a 1/5th inch layer with rubber granules thick through out the floor. I noticed the product going on really thin at first and emailed the company. They stated it will go on thin with a roller and just keep applying the layers. Basically the first 2 gallons took 4 layers and the final 2 layers were a gallon each. I put the last 2 coats on REALLY thick. The temp was 79 degrees and this stuff was almost dry in 15-20 mins... ready for the next layer. I'm really amazed at this product and the results. I will never own a boat with carpet again!

    Finally this project is coming together!
     

    Attached Files:

  6. BoxxerBoyDrew

    BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

    Messages:
    143
    State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Looks like it is commiing along great!!! Tuff Coat looks great too! I may be useing the same stuff in my 85 Bass Tracker rebuild!

    Thanks for all the info and pics!
    Drew
     
  7. Leakyboat

    Leakyboat New Member

    Hey Franklin,
    Good job Big Dog!Looks good!Keep postin the pics as you progress.I think my next project will be a toon also!Just waitin for the right deal.
    Ernie