Francis Scott Key/our national anthem

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by smitty1963, Jul 3, 2008.

1. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Did you know that the author of the Star Spangled Banner was a lawyer. His father John Ross Key was also a lawyer, a judge and an officer in the continental army??
    In 1832 Key served as the attorney for Sam Houston during his trial in the U.S. House of Representatives for assaulting another congressman.
    In 1835, Key prosecuted Richard Lawrence for his un successful attempt to assassinate then President of the United States, Andrew Jackson.
    In 1861, Keys grandson was imprisoned in Fort McHenry with the Mayor of Baltimore, George William Brown and other locals deemed to be pro-South.

Just wanted to throw out a few little known or remebered things about the author of the song that means so much to so many Americans. I served in the United States Navy for 22 years, I retired July 15th 2006 . If I could I would serve another 22 years.

THANK YOU to all in the BOC who have served or who are still serving our great nation.

HAPPY 4th OF JULY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thank you Ken!

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Reps to ya ,Ken,Neat facts.

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Very interesting Ken; might also be useful info to have stored "upstairs" when playing a trivia game :wink:.

Thank you for your service.

There has been talk before of changing our national anthem because people find it hard to sing, but I can't imagine it being anything else.

Happy Independence Day!