Fox Trapping?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by Mr.wiskers592, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Mr.wiskers592

Mr.wiskers592 New Member

what kind of traps and scents should i use when trapping foxes and coyotes, like foot traps sizes and things?

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    A 1.75 would work great, for fox , and hold most coyotes, 2s would be my choice, caught a lot of fox in them, 1.5 you could get by with but are on the small side of fox and not a good coyote trap even though some have been caught and held in them but more lost.
    3s would work on coyotes and cats, but a little big for fox.
    Hope this helps.

3. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    their are all of good ones out their , cut my teeth on hawbakers,
    Dobbins Sullvans, the snare shop, cares some, cumberlands, look in Fur fish and game.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A fox can whiff a cracklin a mile away

5. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Mr.wiskers592, A Victor 1 1/2 coil spring will work for cat, fox, and coyotes, but 1.75 work a little better. My best, and favorite trap for land trapping is a BMI Wolfer. It is a #2, 4 coil with off set jaws. It has a bottom mount D ring chain for easy bedding. I watch a large coyotes pull out of a stright jaw 1 1/2 last year, and so far, I have never lost any animals out of the Wolfer.

No matter what you buy, purchase quaility. BMI makes good coil spring leg holds, and yet I would not own one of their Killers. Victor makes good traps all the way around, they are just high as a cats back. Sleepy Creek makes a good leg hold and poor killers. Duke! Duke is the King of Junk. I would not own a Duke trap for any reason even if they were free. I live in Louisiana where it never gets to cold, and I have seen Duke long springs break set over night when it got to the low 30's.

Oh, and every land animal I have ever seen loves beaver meat, with just a little hint of castor on it.

6. Mr.wiskers592

Mr.wiskers592 New Member

thanks for all the help guys, i really needed it. Now i finaly can get started trapping :D

7. turkey22

turkey22 New Member

State:
    alabama
    I agree with mark on the cracklins. Also have used widowmaker by hawbakers with success. But the cracklins work great

8. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Use a #1 1-2 coil spring w/ some hawbakers lure and fox urine.

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Back when I trapped them I had good luck with the Hawbakers LDC.
    Long distance call, Its skunk based and will bring them in when other scents fail because half the time unless the winds are in your favor the animal may well pass through with out ever winding your scent.

I like to put it up high on a tree or stick around but not directly at your set. I would then use another lure or unine scent directly at the set. I used 1and1/2s and 2s coil springs.
    Snares work excellent on them also.

10. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    20+ years ago when i trapped i used #2 victor's mostly in covey sets baited with a robin. caught everything from ringtails to bobcats. gave it up when i only got $20 for a prime silvertip. how are the prices now?

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Cracklins are subject to take any meat eater on a dry land set.Well whipped raw egg works well,when poured on your pan.peewee-williams

12. flannelman

flannelman New Member

i just recently found out there are fox round my area. other then what has been said, does anyone have any tips for a beginner trapper

13. Whitelightnin

Whitelightnin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use 1 & 1/2 coil spring traps when I'm trapping for fox. If there are coyotes in the area, go to 1.75's. As for lure & sets, my main set is a walk through set. It is made by setting the trap in the trail with the levers pointing along the trail. Then, I will use something like a 1-2 inch rock, a piece of a dead limb, a cow pie or anything to get their eye attention. I put three of these around the trap. Imagine a clock face. Say the trail runs from 9 oclock to 3 oclock. I will have one item at 10 o'clock. Another at 2 o'clock & a third at 6 o'clock. I will use different lures on each of them. I put the lure on the bottom of the item but it will work on the top also. DON"T USE TOO MUCH LURE!!! This is a big mistake that most beginners make. Just a drop or two is PLENTY. If you ust too much, they will shy away from the set. For lures, I like to use a gland lure, a food lure & either a curosity lure or urine. The gland lure doesn't have to be fox. Coyote or bobcat gland lure works just as well. Any good food lure works good & the curosity lure is something that they don't smell very often. I like SFE (synthetic fermitted egg) or a drop of something like vanilla, spearmint, peppermint or anise oil.
    The trap should be staked down with the stake below the trap or have a drag on it. If you have coyotes in your area, ALWAYS CROSS STAKE your traps. Coyotes are BAD about pulling up single staked sets. If you don't know what cross staking is, give me a shout. I will hook you up with more info than you can can shake a stick at on trapping. You can reach me at

lightnin@pine-net.com

James