Fox River

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by TNYHWK1, Apr 28, 2008.

1. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
    I'm looking to take a trip over to the Fox River.:0a35:

Had sum dog walkers tell me to go to Carpentersville Il.72 at Dundee then go upstream to a dam. All in between has road access. Did a birdseye view. Looks EZ. Any city folk know of better? Whats the chance of a Bigun?
    Thanks. :big_smile:

2. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The upper Fox is heavy populated by both boat and shore fishermen, but that's because it's such a great river. I live on the Lower Fox where the current and makeup of the river is completely different than it is upstream. Opportunities upstream range from Cat to Smallies to Bluegil, Crappie and some Muskie. It is a very healthy fisherie that doesn't need to be stocked by the DNR.

3. catfishermanj

catfishermanj New Member

State:
    Illinois - McHenry
    It doesn't need to be stocked because the muskie and eyes come from the chain thanks to the dams. There are some nice flats that get caught but there is a lot of pressure on that system.

4. monstercat420

monstercat420 New Member

State:
    illinois
    These last 2 months I have caught 6 flatheads 21.15,20.5,20,15,12,6.11 on the fox from batavia to elgin.( All were caught on bluegills and bullheads)( All were caught kissed and released!!) Here is a pic of 4 of them.

Attached Files:

5. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
    KICK @$$ DUDE!
    WHERE WAS THAT AGAIN?:big_smile:
    NICE PIC.

6. monstercat420

monstercat420 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Most of the big ones came from the St. Charles to the south elgin pool.

7. monstercat420

monstercat420 New Member

State:
    illinois
    If you go to route 31 towards south elgin there is a island called boy scout island you can launch there. Once you launch go up river and find the snags!!GOOD LUCK:big_smile:

8. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    If The rock doesnt go down i might have to make that trip too!

9. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The Fox is no lower than the Rock. I crossed the Rock last weekend on my way to camping, it looks just as bad as the Fox.

The Fox is closed to all boat traffic from the IL/WI border to Millington (roughly 8 miles south of the Yorkville Dam). No word from the DNR as to when it's going to be reopened, but considering how it's been holding it's level, probably not for another week or two (at least).

10. monstercat420

monstercat420 New Member

State:
    illinois
    The fox up here by me is ready to fish!! Went out with my buddy last night and I caught a 6 lb. flathead and he caught a 27.2 lb. flathead.

Attached Files:

• e10.jpg
      e10.jpg
      File size:
      48.8 KB
      Views:
    • e7.jpg
      e7.jpg
      File size:
      40 KB
      Views:
  11. rockfordflathunter

State:
    rockford,illino
    I cant wait till the rock is ready!!!!

12. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I'm headed up to the Fox from July 8-15th. All my fishing is done off the 2 docks at the family place in Cary. Main reason for going up there is I got some work to do around the property for my Grandma, but while I'm there...I'm sure I'll be throwing out some lines at night :big_smile:. My biggest cat outta there so far is a 12lb channel and 11lb flatty. There's not a lot of distinguishing cover features around there so it's really hit or miss, my uncle up there caught a 35lber off the dock 2 years ago though. Only thing to do is throw a couple lines out, stick 'em in rod holders, put bells on 'em and hope for the best.

13. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
    I can see the bank now in a few spots.
    Getting closer.

14. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Just got back from my trip up to the Fox. I had lines out just about everynight this past week. Caught a lot of fish the first 3 days, but then rain moved in up north and the current got considerably stronger and that kind of slowed things down. First night there I caught a nice 15lb flathead, but in the night following all I was able to manage were channels in the 2-6lb range. This morning before I left, I did hook into a nice 20" walleye throwing a beetle spin, but it got off before i could pull him up outta the water.

15. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Someone told me there is Blue cats in the lower Fox River. Can anyone confirm this? I know there's Channels and Flatheads but never heard blue cats or saw any..

16. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've been fishing the lower Fox for 9 years with 90% of my activity targeting Cats. Never caught a Blue. Blues have no way to get to the Fox. Some have mistaken large Channels for Blues, but there are no Blues in the Lower Fox. Sorry. Besides, the Lower Fox averages 1-3' depth until you get near Wedron where it pools up above the Dayton Dam. There's just not enough depth for Blues to prosper.

17. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS

(I have no idea what I'm talking bout.)
    The Rock River has blues in it. OK? Why wouldn't the Fox River have them?
    They are both connected to the Mississippi. Fox River Via the Il. River
    Any input would get me up to snuff.
    THANK YOU!!!

18. rockfordflathunter

State:
    rockford,illino
    I would love to catch a blue but have never seen or heard of them on the rock.If they are here they should be some monsters because they get bigger then flats or as big so there should be some 30/40/60lb plus fish never seen any though?

19. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
    I was at the Sand Hole south of 64 north of the train track. A fellow had a 18 incher or so. Said it was a Blue and it looked like one to me. :confused2:

20. rockfordflathunter

State:
    rockford,illino
    I am not saying there arent any i just have never seen one they are very difficult to tell apart unless you have them side by side.Dnr doesnt list them as being here but its always possable ! I have caught channels in the 24=28 inch range and they are silver/gray/blue but are channels . I have seen fish stocked that have been mixed lots so it is very possable indeed but i dont believe in my opinion that they are established in the rock with all the barriers( dams) preventing them from migrating from the mississippi. Doesnt really matter we have an outstanding fishery here in Illinois and possabilities for some trophy catfishing blues/channels/flats!!!So I would say go for it its always a great time fishing!!!:wink: