Fox River Spring 2008

Discussion in 'WISCONSIN RIVER TALK' started by NightSlayer, Mar 9, 2008.

1. NightSlayer

NightSlayer New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    The ice has finally broken! Probally, beacause the river is running wide open. Has anyone else ever seen the Fox have so much flow? I wonder how this affects the catfish? It would seem that the river has huges amounts of oxegen. I cant rememeber the last time the river looked so clean. I plan to go and fish some channel cats next weekend. I might even throw a sucker in, and see if the Flatheads are awake yet.

2. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    let me know how you do. i'd think the fish would still be sittin' tight in their holes with a) sub 32 degree water and b) lots of current. but then again it might be what the fish need to wake up. i'm kinda new to fishing the fox in green bay so should be interesting this year. i'm sure you'll find some fish around those water discharges....worth a shot anyway.....last report i saw was that the landing were still snowed in....could you keep me updated? i'm in appleton and don't get up there too often to look at snow filled boat launches :wink:

3. NightSlayer

NightSlayer New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Hey - I never made it out the other weekend. However, the boat landing at sunset park is snow free now. I guess some guy had his landscaping company dig it out, so he could get his boat in the water. Thank God - there was like 6-7 feet of snow in the way of the landing. I bought a boat this week, so I will be out this weekend, and least try fishing for a while. I will report back next week to you.

4. urrdone

urrdone New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    Hey i live in appleton too and am very anxious to get out as that i have a new cat pole i want to innitiate. i usually go in neenah and menasha either behind the alta resource building or the menasha dam. appleton has some smaller cats by the railroad bridge at the bottom of lawe street by havent been out this year yet. any other good places to go in appleton that you can fish from the shore as i dont have a boat???

5. NightSlayer

NightSlayer New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Are you catching channel or flaties in menasha? What size? I have not had much luck down by the lawe street bridge - The foremost factory underneath the college ave bridge is a pretty good spot. There is a back water pool and the spot were the current meets the pool is good. You will need good sinkers to stick to the bottom, as the current is strong.

6. urrdone

urrdone New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    Ill have to check out the foremost factory. Since i live right on college its about a 2 min drive! we get mostly channels in menasha smaller in size thought. ive heard from a few people that they regularly get 20+ inch ones by the locks where the friend ship trail is in menasha but havent gone there. as far as the railroad bridge there are really only two spots that produce fish on a regular basis. If the damn snow would stop and warm up even 10-15 degrees i would be out checking these areas.

7. urrdone

urrdone New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    Ok so i was down at formost wed night fishing the edge of the current. i found alot of snags but after 3 or 4 casts i found a good hole i didnt get snagged in. however i didnt get any bites. although i was using garlic cover hotdog for bait as i didnt have anything else to use.

8. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Hey early get the deadest hunk of crap and pitch it out them cats is hungry!!!!!!!!!!! stinky is best smelly early is time 4 rotten!!!!!

NED

9. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    it's a little early to be going after flatheads but the channels might be out and about. i've never had much luck with anything other then fresh cut bait. if you catch a carp or sheepshead, fillet it up and use the chuncks. change the bait often....every 15 to 30 minutes or so....depending on what type of current your in. faster current, change more often.

i was in depere yesterday walleye fishing and had a couple very large returns show up on my depth finder....i didn't have any suckers with to see if they were flatties or not but the next time i go up there i'll have to get a couple and toss one out too see what happens. everybody talks about 50 degrees being the magic temp but who knows, it's worth a shot.

10. NightSlayer

NightSlayer New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    ninrugger - did you catch any walleye? I know this is the time of year, but the flows are fast and the water is cold. Just wondering if this is affecting the walleye.

I was fishing kimberly on Saturday, and also pick up some fish in holes on the fishfinder. I agree with you that the water must get a little warmer before the flatties come out. However, I think a nice sunny day with air temps in the 50's, and the flats might come out into the shallows during the day. No matter what - we are within weeks of pre-spawn fun!! For now the walleye will be fun and I can start filling my basement livewell with gills.

11. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    filling your basement livewell with gills?? don't let the DNR hear that with all of those nice bait regulations. i'm not sure what i'm going to do about bait this year. so far it's still illegal to catch bluegills or any other bait and leave the water with them alive....but the new regs that they just agreed on aren't enforcible at all. :angry: i'll have to figure something.....or break the law....or something...

as far as walleyes go, i got 4 of them or so, had a few other bites. they are definitely moving around and getting ready for the spawn. many guys that are much more seasoned in walleye experience are doing alot better then i am...this is my virgin spring walleye run. water temp in depere is averaging around 39 but with the rain coming and the warmer days this up coming week i expect that to rise pretty quickly. walleyes typically spawn around 43-47 degrees i think, so it's right around the corner. the river and boat landings are NUTS as expected. as far as flow goes, it really hasen't been too bad. water clarity is decent and i was expecting the water level to be a little higher than what it is....atleast i can get my boat in though with out the trailer dropping off the end of the ramp. i talked to one guy who caught a 24" flattie last week on a jig and minnow while looking for the eyes. so it might be worth sinkin' a sucker in front of them if i can find any more big returns. how's the fishing where you were?

12. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome to the boc let us know how you do when you do go

13. NightSlayer

NightSlayer New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the heads up on the VHS - I thought you could take bait fish out and return them to the same water - I just read the new regs and I was wrong - no fish can leave the shore or dock alive period - wow - I guess I will hope for gills the days I go night fishing for cats - without leaving the water - I will have to bring dinner LOL

I had no luck catching anything saturday - my friend caught one carp and one gar on a spoon?? I did not think either of those fish would chase a spoon - I am going to use some cut bait and put in the holes I marked fish last weekend - if I can catch anything to use as cut bait - cant wait till the water warms up:0a23:

14. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    the gar i can see going after a spoon....but the carp....well, their a little different anyway:wink:....i used to run to a near by lake and pick up a dozen or so bluegills for bait because they were easy to catch.....and cheaper then buying suckers....and every time i go out catfishin' with the intention of catching bait i NEVER catch any bait....not even a nibble. not sure what i'm going to do this year....maybe do some hard core searching for good bait spots i guess. dunno what else to do really. i don't want to drop a bunch of money on suckers...especially into the summer when they are hard to find at bait stores....gas for the boat is going to kill me this year as it is. i'm all for the DNR but they really need to get their poop in a group and put their thinkin' caps on to get this VHS regulations BS straighted out with something simple, easily enforceable and makes sense.....let me know how you do with the cut bait.

15. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    i went toddlin' around little butte de mortes yesterday afternoon to see if i got my new fish finder set up properly....this is what i found....could it be a nice sized catfish???

Attached Files:

16. NightSlayer

NightSlayer New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Nice fish finder! What kind is it? It has pessure and everything - Wow. The only thing you need now is a spear, since you know where are all the fish are - LOL

17. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    lol, it's one of the humminbird side imaging ones. i'm still trying to dial it in and get the transducer placement right. should be pretty sweet once it's all set up....

18. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Looks like a big old sturgeon ther's a ton of them in there

19. cspierings

cspierings New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I've got to take my son up to Menasha for the weekend for a soccer tourney. We ended up with the schedule changing and if we come up Friday after school he doesn't have any games until Saturday around lunch time.

Anyone have any tips about where we might take a shot at some cats along shore in Menasha or Appleton? He plays in Menasha and we are staying out on CE.

Messenger is on if you want to keep it quiet.

Thanks,

Chris