Fox River in Wisconsin

Discussion in 'WISCONSIN RIVER TALK' started by BADDOGG, May 13, 2006.

1. BADDOGG

BADDOGG New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    hello all... i have just started fishin cats on the fox, just lookin for some tips and or any help. i been usin chicken liver but nothin yet. someone told me to use cut bait, i have no idea what to use for cut bait... help please.

thanks for any help

2. BADDOGG

BADDOGG New Member

State:
    wisconsin

i found out what to usefor cut bait.."should have looked in index" sorry all

3. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Cut bait is any fish you don't want to eat cut it up

4. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Fished around Big Green and the Fox near Princeton not much happening, man was it windy. Managed to get 2 14,24 the big one was really skinny bouth on cut bait aka sheepshead.

Ned

Attached Files:

5. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    I am looking for some boat ramps on the Fox River in WI. I found one in Silver Lake. Anyone know if there is a ramp near Burlington?

Thanks,
    Tom

6. LITTLEALK

LITTLEALK New Member

I plan on trying my hand at the Fox River (Green Bay area) If any one wants to go let me know.....

7. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    hey guys....anybody do some heavy catfishing around the state? i'm in the appleton area and do quite a bit here but have tried a few other places. anybody try eureka on the fox? any hints, places to try? i was down at eureka last night and didn't catch a thing, not even a bit....other then the 10,000 mosquitoe bites i have now.

8. Catting_r_us

Catting_r_us Guest

Hello,tmuenster i do know of one in Waterford by the Dam. But i never seen one in Burlington. But i can check on my map it has boat access ramps and i can see if there is one in Burlington.

Catting_r_us

9. Catting_r_us

Catting_r_us Guest

Hello,ninrugger I fish the Root River in Racine and catch a lot of Channels there, using shrimp and cut blue gill and dip bait. Lately I have been trying for some flatheads but no luck. Another place I fish and is good to try is the Fox River by Silver Lake off of highway F. I used the same baits i used on the Root River and have pretty good luck. I have been wanting to try the Milwaukee River but i do not know of a good spot on that river yet, I guess i will have to just go there and try out any spot on the river to see if its good or not. If you are intrested in meeting up and going there and trying it out you can email me at dlangston@mail.com

Catting_r_us

10. tragic

tragic New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I was fishing at rochester today.. caught some pretty nice channels.. I don't think there are any boat ramps near burlington except the one by waterford. I haven't been to waterford for a long time now so i don't quite know where it's at but good luck fishin!

11. okshores17D

okshores17D New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i use to like in oshkosh before moving to oklahoma had alot of luck catfishing where the fox meets lake winnebago. at the end of bowen street there is a huge casting dock. bring your longest rod because the hole is a huge cast. we used a circle hook with three extra large leeches and caught many flats. also the american legion has a pier waleyes bight great an hour before dark on leaches after dark the big cats come in close to shore.

12. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    ahhh, thanks for the hint, i'll have to give good ol' oshvegas a try sometime in the near future. appreciate it :)

13. NightSlayer

NightSlayer New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I have been fishing the Fox River in Kimberly by the Paper Factory. I have landed some nice channel cats (30inch) and one nice flathead (34inch but 20+ punds) I use live bluegill for flatheads and Doc's stink bait for channels.

14. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Fished the Fox Princeton area got 6 eaters 18- 22 " all bit 8- midnight. Cut sucker worked best tail end better

Attached Files:

15. dkhonda

dkhonda New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I've been out on the west Kimberly/east Appleton stretch of water lately and have been seeing alot of action on stinkbait. Lately I had 2 channels, 24 & 25" cats, eating the live gills meant for the flats. Looks like one gill may have been dead anyway but the other was still kicking in the cats mouth when we pulled it in. Good picture.

16. hooked_on_catfish

hooked_on_catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I was out on the Fox in the De Pere area fishing close to the dam in about 7-16 ft of water on the 23rd of August. We did rather well landing a few fish over 20 and a monster 35# 40 incher that was the first fish of the night. We where using 8-10 inch suckers. The fish hit all through the night and no time was more productive than another however the big fish seemed to hit more at around the midnight hour and the smaller ones (3-15#) hit closer to sun up.

However I do beleive that the water temps had a great deal with our success that night. The week prior the daytime temp was in the 60's with lots of rain and the night time temp ranged from the 40's. When we got out there that night the water temp wasnt all that much warmer than the cool water I was keeping my suckers in and I am guessing that it was in the mid to high 60's.

Now, I returned to the Fox just 5 days later....Same spot, same bait and we did not get a single bite all night even though we where tracking large fish on the depthfinder most of the night.

But this time the daytime temp for the last 5 days was in the upper 70's and 80's with night time temp's in the mid to upper 60's. When you stuck your hands in the water it was ready for the bubble bath. I would say it was in the low to mid 70's

My advise to me would wait for the nights to get a bit cooler to lower that water temp back down to the mid to upper 60's. I feel that the cats are a bit more active in that temp range.

17. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    anyone fished the fox down in big bend? i'm movin back up to wisconsin this winter and that is just down the road from where i'll be livin. just tryin to see what i can expect from that area of the fox

18. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Times must have changed up there in the tundra. I lived North of Green Bay for a while when I was younger, been gone from that area for quite a few years now, but when I was living up there, it was illegal to use live bait unless you could buy it in the bait shop, Live bait meaning, bluegills, crawdads, frogs etc. Only thing we were allowed to use back then was night crawlers, and minnows. I moved up there from Iowa and was pretty knowledgable on catfish, but I remember someone caught a big flathead out of (I think it is the) Fox River over by Shawano, anyway, they had a photo of it in the newspaper, this thing weighed over 30lbs and the newspaper called it a bullhead. I was really shocked. LOL Good luck, Catfishing up there didn't seem as abundant as cats here in Iowa.

19. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    yeah, the wolf river must be the one you are talking about over by shawano. there are some big fish in there, but the amount of set liners on that strech of water is rediculous. to be honest, not too many people fish for cats around here.....and the knowledge base is seriously lacking....like you said, calling a flattie a bullhead...or mississippi bullhead...is pretty common. just another name for the same fish, but it sure is misleading to people who don't know. as far as the live bait regs....not sure if they've changed or not...but i'd say atleast 80% of the people who fish still think it's illegal to use 'gamefish' for bait. that's all i got for now....water is coolin' down quick....hopefully that'll heat up the catfish bite...

20. hooked_on_catfish

hooked_on_catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Been meaning to get down to the fox for an overnight session with mr. whiskers however things have been coming up.

However if anyone tells me how the action is now that the water has started to cool I might be motivated to just pack up and leave :D