Fox River flathead catfish

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by bigkittyhunter, Mar 12, 2007.

1. bigkittyhunter

bigkittyhunter New Member

State:
    illinois
    Im new to fishing for catfish in rivers, could any one give me some pointers on fishing the fox by the dam in st. charles?

2. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've done most of my catfishing on the Fox the last few years. There's some nice channel and flathead cats in there, for sure. No real monsters, but some good solid fish.

What were you looking to do - shore fishing, launch a boat, setlining?

Shawn

3. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    St.Charles use to produce alot of Flatheads...I had no problems catching them with only a couple of hours fishing at night.But that was 3 yrs ago...Now,i would be lucky to get even 1 month.The spots i use to hit is bombarded with bucketheads(Thats what i get for telling people were to go).My biggest one was caught in St.Charles which was 42 3/4"in.That was 4yrs ago.

I dont know if they still have the chain link fence by the dam...but if they dont,try to fish the side of the dam where the current breaks.As you know,the cats will tend to hold there and wait for easy food.I would use no less than a 2oz sinker as the current runs pretty quick there.It`s snag heaven there also,You probably alreay know that...You should also work the hell out of the pillars...north,south,sides of the bridge.Best bait to use for channels there would be cut strips of bluegills(1-2in).Hope that helps...I`m usually there 4 nights a week.So if you see a couple of asian guys...come by and say hi.

4. bigkittyhunter

bigkittyhunter New Member

State:
    illinois
    Shoreline fishing

5. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't know a lot of shore fishing spots; the St Charles and Geneva dams have both been pretty good in the past.

Another interesting area is Carpentersville dam. It's pretty shallow up close, but just in front of the old trestle on the west side, and just below it on the east is deeper. It's a nice walk from the parking area on the west side of the dam to get there.

Shawn

6. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I can't really give instructions as I've only done this once, but you can wade below St Charles dam in the summertime.

(ran out of time to edit)

Shawn

ps Vegasryder was that profile picture at a boat launch? looks familiar :cool2:

7. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    The pic was taken on the fishing spots on the side of Riverside Ave which is rite across the street from Langum Park.You almost guessed it...just a couple of miles south from the Boy Scout Island launch your talking bout:big_smile:

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC Ben! I hope that you get on the fish soon enough!

9. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    BTW...i went there last night with no luck.The current is too fast and the water is really high.I`d give it a week or so until the conditions get better.