Fox River Dip Baits

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by gebs, Jun 18, 2006.

1. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good Morning,

I went out this morning on a quest. A quest to determine which dip bait was the best; Sonny's regular, Sonny's Blood, or G&S. I also rigged up 1 line with monster crawler. Here are the results:

Sonny's Blood: 0
    Sonny's Regular: 6
    G&S:

2. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good Morning,

I went out this morning on a quest. A quest to determine which dip bait was the best; Sonny's regular, Sonny's Blood, or G&S. I also rigged up 1 line with monster crawler. I played by the rules and only had 2 lines in the water at any one time. Here are the results:

Sonny's Blood: 0
    Sonny's Regular: 6
    G&S: 3
    Crawlers: 2

This was all in 1 hour above an eddy where the river came back together below an island. The average size was 2 lbs. with the biggest being about 6 lbs. There were 9 channels and 2 flats.

I'm looking for confirmation from other Fox River catmen. Is this what you are seeing on the river? I have been blanked on Sonny's blood bait all year, but Sonny's regular has been outfishing G&S all year as well.

3. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    chuck,

If you can, get some Danny Kings and try it against Sonnys. I tried it on the Illinois River and at Lasalle Lake at Danny Kings won hands down. Now I also went down to Rend Lake and didnt do so well on Danny Kings.

4. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Thanks Chuck,
    That is GREAT research your doing there. If you need an assistant let me know. I don't know all that much about fishing, but I live close to the Fox and am willing to work for free. LOL

5. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm always looking for a good bait that will bring 'em in. Where do you get the Danny Kings?

BTW, I went back out later in the day and repeated what I did in the morning. All said and done I had 16 keepers over 15" in a total of 3.5 hours on Sunday. I also threw back as many as I caught.

6. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Where in the Fox do you fish?I`ve been there about 2x this year and been skunked...

7. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Without giving too much away :wink: , I fish somewhere below Yorkville. It pretty much takes a boat to get there and you have to get seriously skinny as some areas along the way are as shallow as 1'.

There are a TON of great spots south of Yorkville, but getting to them can be very tricky if you don't know the river. I've seen more than 1 guy come out w/ a broken shear pin or look at me like I'm insane after coming through some very skinny water.

If anyone knows where I can get some Danny Kings, I'd love to try it out.

8. kfritts

kfritts New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm sure there are other places, but i have seen Danny King's available on ebay.

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    look to the sponsors threads. Good research. whatabout live bait?

10. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    My brother in-law lives in Yorkville not too far away from the dam.Tried fishing by the dam once at night but the cops kicked me out.Didnt 3 people die there recently?

11. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes. 1 guy INTENTIONALLY went over the dam in a kayak trying use the dam like a set of rapids. he got caught in the undertow and 2 guys went in to save him and got caught in the same undertow. The DNR is now improving the dam. They've promised to do it for years, but once the latest death's occured they finally made it a priority.

As for the cops kicking you out, the park closes at 10PM. There are a lot of spots down river of the dam, but like I said, it takes a really shallow draft boat to get to most of them.