Fox River catfish

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Klag, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Here's some cats from my last trip up to the Fox.

Small channel cat
    [​IMG]

Larger channel cat
    [​IMG]

Medium flathead cat
    [​IMG]

Same fish, look at the mouth on that thing!
    [​IMG]

Baby flathead cat
    [​IMG]

Same fish, different picture
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFRO67

JEFFRO67 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Nice looking fish Dave. I`m headed up to the fox around sheridan next week i hope i can do as well.

Jeff

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Great pics Klag thanks for sharing.:0a22:

4. bonapetit2

bonapetit2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Dave,
    Nice looking group of cats you caught, that always makes for an enjoyable night!!
    Thanks for the pics.

5. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I don't eat fish, so I release everything I get - so these fish were all released and waiting to be caught again. We caught and released over 200 cats in the 8 days I was there. The fish were really biting at night, but during the day the boat traffic makes them run and hide and they don't come out to play until around 10pm each night. There were plenty of bass to play with during the day. Nothing big over 2-3lbs, but still fun :)

I'm not familiar with Sheridan, as I'm a Georgia boy just up there visiting, but if you can get out at night - you should get plenty of cats. Just save me some for my next visit!!
    :) :)

6. JEFFRO67

JEFFRO67 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Will Do Dave :big_smile: i`d just like to catch a few for dinner. my girlfriends kids will have a ball if we can get into a few nice channel cat. they are young so 2 or 3 pounders would be HUGE fish to them. My guess is they will fish 10 minutes and be off catching turtles and frogs haha. short attention span at their age.

7. kittykat

kittykat New Member

State:
    ohio
    wow! nice fish!

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Nice fish Dave...looks like you had a successful trip up to the Fox. I was recently up there and didn't catch any flatheads, but did catch a nice 10lb channel cat and many others in the 3-6lb range. I noticed that too with the fish only starting to bite at around 10 at night, the boat traffic really didn't even slow down till 9:30 and it was the middle of the week too.

9. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'm headed back up to the Fox again in 2 weeks, how's it going up there...? Still flooded? I bet the cats are big and fat after the flooding!!

:)

Anyone do any good on the Fox lately?

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Can't tell ya first hand how the fishing is. But the water is one it's way back down. I'm sure the high water will help the fishing up there some. My Grandma said when the water was up in her yard she could see small fish swimming around in a couple feet of water. I do know that the fall fishing up there is generally pretty good. She also told me that there's been a lot of people fishing the park across the river from her, but she said she hasn't seen anybody catch anything big lately. Anyways, good luck when you head up there.

11. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Water is almost to its normal level...i give it by the end of the week and it`ll be the same as before it flooded. There hasnt been too much Flathead action goin on, although i`ve heard of a couple of 20`s being caught a couple of weeks ago. Channel action is pretty good. All in all its been kinda slow compared to last year.

12. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Just got back again from visitng my Dad on the Fox. The catfishin was hot, as always. Got about 10 between the two of us in one night, with 4 over 10lbs. Smallest cat we got at night was 5lbs! Got the first cat before we got our 2nd pole in the water - the first pole was singing. All channels, no flats this time but we were using only cutbait, no live.

We only catfished one night of the 7 I was there because I hate to admit it, but this time of year the carp fishing is just more fun :) Since I release everything I catch anyway, I'm only in it for the fun. And those carp are huge and fight crazy hard. Average fish over 20lbs and fight like they are 40bls. Did get plenty more small 2-3lbs channel cats on bread and corn while carp fishing in the day time... didn't realize cats liked bread and corn so much.

I'll post some pics when I get em back :)

13. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Me and my buddys were thinking of hitting Pistakee this weekend. I`ve been looking at google earth to see what spots we can hit, but almost all the shoreline is private property. Do you know any spots that are accessible by shore?

14. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Well, I'm not tooo familiar with the area as I live down here in Georgia. But my Dad lives on the river right at the mouth of Pistakee. What I've noticed is that in most of the small neighborhoods have small public boat ramps with little public access areas. They all close at dusk or 10pm, but can fish from most of them. You can scope them out from a boat - look for the public benches then locate on Mapquest. And if you can get to the McHenry Dam the 2-3lb channel cats practically jump out of the water into your hands. Never had anything too big over there though...

I found that the channel cats where everywhere that I fished. I was doing everything I could to NOT catch the channels cuz I wanted to play with the big carp. The channel cats were coming to the top to eat my bread, and stay along the bottom. They are eating ANYTHING right now, including carp only fruity bait... Smaller ones out all day long, and bigger ones come close to shore at night.

15. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've always had strong success on the Fox for table size Cats. I'm not set up for the monsters. This year it's been crazy. My buddy and I go out on Saturday mornings around 7AM and by Noon we've got 30-40 2-4lbers. We release everything so they're all there for us to catch again.

The flood really changed things. The deadfall is all messed up. If the tree is still there after the flood the spot is lightning fast action. The only problem is that 1/2 the trees are "missing." I figure it might take another week or two until the fish find new homes.

As for Carp, they're fun anytime. I've found that they really like chicken livers. :big_smile: The only problem is so do the turtles. :angry:

16. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    good looking fish you got there thanks for sharing . keep it up hope to see more soon