Fox River - Beginning catfishing questions

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by tikiman, Jun 14, 2007.

1. tikiman

tikiman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I want to start fishing on the fox ( St. Charles ) for flats and channels, and was wondering what I should get started on rod and bait wise or what’s just working right now? Thanks

2. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    hey david, welcome to the boc. its good to have you here. hope you enjoy the site as much as the rest of us, just be warned its addictive.

3. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to BOC. from Arkansas.

4. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    welcome to the BOC. while i don't fish that river most are pretty much the same when it comes to gear. you didn't say boat or bank, but i'll make a stab at it. i'm partial to ugly stik rods. MH or better. you need something that is tough enough to move them big flatties around. as for reels, top 2 baitcasters IMO would be a penn 209, or an Abu 6000 or better.
    as for bait, i like to use cut bait or whole fish. shad, blugill, skipjack just to name a few. when it comes to cat bait oyu never know what their hittin on till you get there, but flatties tend to like live.
    hopes this helps out. is sure you'll get a lot more tips.

5. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    HEY, BRO WELCOME TO THE BOC.

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
  7. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton, Illinois. Good luck.

8. tikiman

tikiman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    THANKS TOO EVERYONE WHO POSTED!! all of this really helped me out in my questions and feeling welcome in BOC

to answer your question dewboy 24us: bank fishing to start and soon to start fishing in boat hopefully

thanks again

9. ILChannelMan

ILChannelMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I personally like the Catmaster rod as well as the UglyStick MH. I picked up a TigerSpin by shakespeare, but haven't used it yet.

What style reel do ya'll use for cats?

10. tikiman

tikiman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    ILchannelman
    i want to use a baitcast but have not decided on a rod or reel yet just gettin some oppions then decide
    thanks