Fox River action right now

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by treddinwater, Jul 14, 2007.

1. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I will be headed up to the Fox River around July 24th to visit family who live on the river in Cary. Just wondering how the action is right now? Usually when I go up there later on in the summer which is the only time to get away, the fishing is so-so because I have an uncle that usually stays the summers there and never releases a dang thing he catches out there, which has included a 34lb flathead. Don't get me wrong, I've pulled my fair share of nice sized cats out of there, the biggest being a 10lb flathead and a 9lb channel...but how is the action right now? Have you guys been getting good rain up there? Down here we are in desperate need of rain...I haven't ever seen the rivers down here this low before.

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Fishing on the Fox was desent. My biggest catfish was a 10lb channel cat that I got on a live 5" sucker. Caught man others ranging anywhere from 8" to 5lbs. Other than that, caught a few nice carp, the biggest being 11lbs, and quite a few drum, which I used a few smaller ones for bait and something kept taking them, but no big flatheads. One thing I found strange is usually I can go up there and use chicken livers at any time and catch good numbers of eater sized channel cats, but I tried them this time and couldn't even buy a bite on them. The tickets were the suckers, nightcrawlers, and wheaty balls.

3. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The river can be a bit finicky regarding baits. The one constant I have found for eater size cats is Sonny's. I don't go after the monsters and try to keep away from the turtles. Sonny's consistently brings in the eater size Cats and the occassional 5-8 lber. and the turtles have no interest in it whatsoever.