Fox Problem

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by catmanofohio, Aug 20, 2006.

1. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    No i dont trap or hunt foxes, but we have one that came in at my grandpas, at first it was ok, it was always in his orchard, untill we figured out why he moved to my grandpas. There are a lot of rabbits around his house and we hunt them, and not we are afraid the fox will scare them away and will kill most of them, we are going to shoot it in the head next time we see it, it is a silver fox, and i hear they are rare, esp around this area. should i try to find someone to buy the fur/fox and about what is the price for it. do i need a license? to sell it that is.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Not sure of the license requirments for your state, so check with wildlife officials for the date of a season if any. Some states have an open season and some states have a closed season with bag limits.

Killing animals just because they don't fit into our plan for what we want is what has lead to the eradication of many animals from different parts of the country. It is narrow minded and irresponsible as an outdoorsman. I have no problem with reasonable harvests, but trying to play armchair biologist and regulate the fox population by killing the ones that come around is not the way to do things.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Looks like you are in Ohio, and the season is September 1- January 31. Bad limit of six per day.

I read your post again, and that is a grey fox you are seeing. There is no such thing as a silver fox, unless you are a NASCAR fan.

4. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have know idea about your states license requriements. I know in Louisiana if you sale fur without a license, you have had it if you are caught.

Why don't you try and catch the fox and see if someone would want to mount it instead of fur. I have never seen a silver fox, all we have here are nasty reds and purty grays. Check with smitty, as he is form up there in your neck of the woods.

5. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    alrighty then, but it is for a good cause, this is the first year we have had too amount of rabbits, and would like for them to get thick again in this area, and we have enuff coyotes running around killing them, let alone a fox living with them.

6. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    im not sure beats me, sorry

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree..........I hope I'm not around when he decides old people are catching his fish

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm not so sure you thinking is correct. You said you have a good amount of rabbits. So be it. I wouldn't worry about it until you see the fox killing your rabbits. The fox being in the area could be helping your rabbits by keeping away cats. Even housecats kill rabits and lots of them.

9. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    Man Just Fire A Couple Rounds Off To Scare It. If You Do That A Few Times It Will Leave. But Don't Kill It Unless You Plan On Eating It. Would You Kill A Fish Just Becouse You Cought It. Know You Would Through It Back Huh.

10. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Woooo Hoooo Hoooo! I can see that our fur removal thread is going to turn into a "what you should not do thread" hear also. catmanofohio, we the fur removal folks will try to find you and answer to your question as soon as possible. I tell you what, I do ADC work, and if it is your land and the animal is bothering you, as far as I am concerned you still have the right to remove it. Shooting at it is about a useless idea as there is. The only way to make it go away is to remove it. Oh, I just want to say I kill the fire out of fish also, as I eat the fire out of them too.

11. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Matthew, I have no idea how your laws are in your state. In my state it is illegal to shoot fox unless they are in a trap. Check your regulations. If you are allowed to shoot them, blast away! If not, let us know, and we will try to help you catch it. Do not let the opinions of some of the members on here bother you. What you want to do is fine. Just make sure you do it legally. Let me know if I can help you.

12. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Dieter, this is the trapping and fur taking section. If you don't have a legitimate reply to a question, please leave your personal views to yourself. thanks.

13. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    I'm not quite sure how things are done in Ohio, but down here we are taught only shoot to kill. Firing at an animal to simple scare it off is a terrible suggestion. What if you wound it by accident? What if you hit something else that matters since your just "firing off a couple rounds".

And your comment about "don't kill it unless you plan on eating it". This is the trapping and fur taking thread. If you don't approve of what we do, please keep your comments to yourself. The last thing I want is for this thread to become a right or wrong issue. thanks

14. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I agree with Gooboy, this is a trapping thread and the last thing we need on here are some bunny huggers that are against what we do and Wyliecat, I hate to disagree with you but there are Silver fox, they're found in the far north like Alaska and northern Canada. There are a lot of silver fox raised on fox farms here in the U.S. for the fur and if that really is a silver fox here in Ohio then I would say it has gotten loose from one of those farms. Catmanofohio, I would try contacting your local D.N.R and they will more then likely help you with your problem or at least let you know what your options are and one thing for sure, you'll get a lot more sound advice them then what you're getting from some people on this thread who don't seem to either hunt, trap or understand the concept of or the purpose of either.

15. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    THANKS Eric, I knew you would show up and say something with Tac. You know me, I have a little problem with that.

16. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good job brother. I sure am glad you and Goo showed up. I just don't have a way with words like yall do.

17. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    SILVER FOX!!!!!!!!!! man i say take a light gun to it and cape the fur. check with your laws and regulations before you sell it though. i think one i saw on ebay a raw silver fox ran for about 100 to 150 bucks. hes valuable. just make sure you shoot it in the winter. if you shoot it now, youll lose alot of money! hope this helps!

18. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i seriously do not wish for people to stroll in this thread and tell us trappers that it is wrong to kill something for its fur. i DONT want TREE HUGGERS in this thread because they think that we are blood thirsty animals because we want to trap. i mean its not like their ancestors or anything didnt wear fur. if you want to put your comments on a "trapping and fur taking" thread please let it stick to "trapping and fur taking" not tree hugging. i dont want this thread to turn into a right/wrong thread like gooboy and fishhook says. good job goo and fishhook!

19. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Thanks guys, well trapping and hunting season comes in the same time in nov. hunting there is no hours for it, and no limit. That means that the DNR knows that ohio has TOO many fox. I would like to catch it alive to send to a zoo or something. But i WILL drop it if it comes down to it. Dont kill if your not gonna eat, WOW so many people kill snakes and dont eat them, spiders, wasp... etc... if its bothering you, you kill it. like i said this is the first year that we have had enuff rabbits to hunt around his place, he lives about 30 miles away from town, so we dont worry about house cats, cause hes the only house w/n 15-20 miles, if we see them we shoot them too. I dont care to kill stuff if it is a neucence(sp). thanks guys for backing me up, and also i agree i asked a question about how to get rid of it, what to do with it. not am i in the wrong here!

20. The Joker

The Joker New Member

State:
    ohio
    we have fox probs to see im a 14 year old hunter in ohio thoses and deer need to look out