Fowl and Pork Jerky

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by ozzy, Dec 5, 2007.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I see all these jerkys now from fowl and pork. Anybody got any input how to homemake these without getting sick?

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Cut turkey with the grain for a chewytextured jerky, across the grain for a more brittle snack.

In addition to basic jerky seasonings, we include a teriyaki variation. For the liveliest flavor, let strips marinate the maximum time. Dry onion and garlic powders are options that give slightly more intense taste. If you want less saltiness, rinse the strips and pat them dry before drying. It's the drying step-in a dehydrator or oven-that removes moisture, inhibits bacterial development, and preserves the turkey.

Depending on how you store turkey jerky, it keeps well for quite a while.

Turkey Jerky

1 pound boned and skinned turkey

breast or tenderloins

1 tablespoon salt

1/2 cup water

2 tablespoons firmly packed brown

sugar

2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed, or

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 small onion, minced, or 1/2

teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke

Nonstick cooking spray

Rinse meat and pat dry. Pull off and discard any fat and connective tissue. For easier slicing, freeze meat until it's firm but not hard. Cut into 1/2- to 1/2-inch-thick slices: cut breast piece with or across the grain, and tenderloins lengthwise.

In a bowl, stir together salt, water, brown sugar, garlic, onion, pepper, and liquid smoke. Add turkey and mix well. Cover and chill at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours; meat will absorb most of the liquid.

Depending upon drying method, evenly coat dehydrator racks (you need 3, each about 10 by 13 in.) or metal racks (to cover a 10- by 1 5-inch baking pan) with nonstick cooking spray.

Lift turkey strips from liquid, shaking off excess, and lay strips close together, but not overlapping, on racks.

In a dehydrator, arrange trays as manufacturer directs and dry at 140 degrees until a cool piece of jerky (remove from the dehydrator and let stand about 5 minutes) cracks and breaks when bent; this should take 4 1/2 to 5 hours.

In an oven set at 150 degrees to 200 degrees, place pan on center rack; prop door open about 2 inches. Dry until a cool piece of jerky (see above) cracks and breaks when bent, 3 to 5 hours.

Let jerky cool on racks, then remove. Serve, or store in airtight containers in a cool, dry place up to 3 weeks, in the refrigerator up to 4 months, or longer in the freezer. Makes about 7 ounces.

Per ounce : 88 cal. ; 15 g protein; 3 g carbo. ; 1g fat,- 40 mg chol.; 751 mg sodium.

Teriyaki Turkey Jerky

Prepare turkey jerky (recipe precedes), omitting salt and water. Add 1/4 cup soy sauce, regular or low-sodium; and 2 teaspoons Worcestershire.

Per ounce: 94 cal ; 16 g protein; 4 g carbo.; 1g fat,- 40 mg chol.; 498 mg sodium.

Or

USDA Jerky Fact Sheet

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've not tried fowl or pork jerky, but I've made it with fish, and kept it without refrigeration for well over 6 months with no ill effect.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Back in the 80s when I was guiding for geese ,I made lots of goose jerky ,good stuff.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I make jerky out of turkey just the same way I make deer jerkey. Never had any ill effects.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I made some from a pork loin and it was the bomb. I put it in the freezer for a bit to get it firm. I then sliced it up about 3/16 inch thick and marinaded it in roasted garlic teriyaki "KIKOMAN" with some red pepper flakes for some kick, about 24 hours. I put it in my Nesco for about 6 hours until it was very dry.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I always just make my jerky from raw. After reading that fact sheet I'm amazed that I havent sickened myself. I do have a stomach like a goat, but :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh: I think Im going to preheat my jerky from now on.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i had some 'wild boar jerky' from brokeback, i mean gander mountain, and it was pretty good. i guess if you cure it, it counts as cooked. i am not sure enough to try it myself though.