Four Boy Scouts Die in Tornado at Little Sioux Camp.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jdstraka, Jun 12, 2008.

1. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I have been on Vacation this past week at My cabin on the Missouri river 4 miles north of little Sioux Iowa.Two of our members also have a cabin on the River there,Sharon Fleming and Her Husband George({Poor River Boy).Anyway at about 5 PM the weather started acting up so George moved his boat and other truck out on the road as our cabins are in a wooded area with alot of trees which sometimes are blown down during severe weather,just 2 weeks ago I lost a golf cart when a Large tree crashed down and landed on it totaling the cart,and three years ago I had a Tree come down on My truck and boat and damaged it, and landed on My cabin doing quite a bit of damage.I decided to head back to Council Bluffs Ia.rather than ride out the storm at the river. Sharon and George were going to some friends storm shelter in Blencoe Ia,4 miles North of our cabins.It was 6:30 P.M. as I was going through Little Sioux Ia.(A Town of about 200 People) and I could hardly keep My truck on the road I coulden't see a funnel cloud but the wind,Rain, and trash flying around made it almost Impossible to see the road.when I got home and turned on the news i found out that a Tornado had hit the Boy scout Camp just outside Little Sioux Ia.at 6:35 P.M. and that 4 Boys had lost there Lives in the storm.What a Tragedy Please Keep there Families in Your Prayers,Also there were 35/40 boys hurt some Seriously in that Tornado.That Storm had to be the same Tornado that hit the camp that I drove through just 5 minutes earlier.J.D.

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Man that's a sad story JD, thanks for the report!!!

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks JD. Have kept up with that story. Here in the Eastern Part news about the same, only no dead folks yet. Can you imagine the terror those kids went through? Bad enough when you are in the basement, but with those trees flying by had to be horrible. Take care, John.

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Prayers for the famlies of the young men that lost there lives

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Sad news indeed JD :sad2:. I hadn't heard about the Boy Scouts' deaths until this morning, but on the national news last night it was mentioned that Iowa has been taking the brunt of the recent flooding. Seems like you folks just can't get a break.

Glad to hear that you made it back okay buddy. Are Sharon and George alright?

I sent up a prayer for the injured Scouts, and the families/friends of the ones who didn't make it when I heard the report earlier; continuing to do so. Very scary stuff. Hard for folks to make sense out of circumstances such as this.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for posting this. I saw it on the news and its a horrible tragedy!!! Our Prayers are sent out to all those affected!:sad2:

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As a parent, I can't even begin to imagine the heartache of losing one or both of my kids due to a storm or whatever it may be. Your request for prayers will be granted. J.D. Thank Almighty God In Heaven that your life was spared driving through the storm. Thank you for being the compassionate man you are and sharing this vital information with us. As I said before I indeed will be praying. Sister Pat:wink::big_smile:

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    man it's horrible. my heart goes out to the scouts' families. all of my nephews are in the scouts and i couldn't imagine something like that.

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Very tragic and devastating. I'm glad you made it through it ok jd.

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Thanks for the post J.D. I'm glad your just fine! This year has been terrible for violent storms across the midwest. My prayers are sent to the families of the boy's who lost there lives. Just wish we can get a break from all this flooding and the darn tornados. Im glad there was no lives lost from the tornados that ripped through the town of Kearney, Ne. There was belived to be 6 tornados that went through this town. Just minor injuries. My wife and I were planning of going to Johnson Lake in Lexington, Ne that night of the storms. We were approx. 20 miles from Kearney and decided to make the decision of going back home. Glad we did. The sky looked EVIL. My weather scanner I carry in my truck reported tornado after tornado! CRAZY! Damage everywhere. I left for the lake later that night when things calmed down, and watched the evening news and seen the video clips of Kearney. MY GOD! It's a wonder no one died in that devestation. Be careful out there and keep an eye on the sky!!:wink:

Thanks.
    Mark..

11. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone touched by these weather related tragedies. really sad when it involves children.

12. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families of those children, it`s very sad to hear of such a tragedy.

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I had an eerie looking picture emailed to me that was supposed to be the tornado that ripped through there.

Attached Files:

14. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

I'd be dropping a load if I saw that thing in person.:crazy: