Found the right reel, now need a fishing rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by kingdawes, Aug 2, 2007.

1. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Okay I found the right reel wich is the abu garcia 7000ic3. This reel seems to be what the boc generally refers to as the best all round. Now I know what line I am going to get and that is the power pro 65lb red phantom. The only thing that I am not all the way decided on is rod. I know what length I want but brand is giving me fits. I want a 9' rod for sure. I am leaning towards catmaxx or maybe king Kat. I need a little input on this though. Does any body have any suggestions on what would make this the perfect or near perfect setup?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The Ugly Stick Tiger rod is the best to complete your set up. I don't think it comes in 9'.:big_smile:

3. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I recently bought a ugly stick bigwater rod and like it alot. It may be available in a 9' length. I bought a 12' and it casts a mile. These rods are great for big fish and big baits.

4. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thanks guys your for your help I think that I got it now. Basspro here I come:wink:. Maybe I can shakem down some on the prices

5. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Welcome to BOC....Good luck on the rod and "shakin em down".....If money is no object, talk to www.blackhorsecustomrods.com .....Lyle will build you the perfect rod.....Check out his site....I've also got a Jim Moyer rod from Catfish Connection that I like a lot...Fits the 7000iC3 pretty good....There's alot of talk about the "Surge" brand of rods on here also.....Choose wisely....Enjoy your new outfit whatever your decision....Dwight

6. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Tica UEHA blank has a nice 9 foot casting rod that will crank in some really big fish.

7. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree this is what i use in a 7 1/2' seems to be a solid rod...I am however using a abu 6000 on mine but works for me...

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I think you made a good choice on the reel Chris. Can't help a lot on a rod that long but the ugly stick rods are very good and may come in that lenght?
    I have my IC3 on surge elites and they are 7'10" Seems to be a perfect match.
    Good luck with the new outfit w/e you get.

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    My 8' custom Blackhorse has a BG7000HSN reel on it....It's balanced like crazy...However, I gonna switch to the iC3 the next time I go fishing....I hope it feels as good or better than the HSN....Lyle is building me another 8' casting rod, just for the iC3....Dwight

10. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    get an ugly stick big water rod. they just can't be beat.

11. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i have 2 12 foot x-heavy rods myself. best rod on the market for big cats.