Found the fish...........but, couldn't get skipjack

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by TN Greg, Dec 7, 2008.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Pearl and I launched at 7 this morning. 4 hours later the boat is like an ice skating rink, I'm covered in ice and we only had 3 little baits. A couple three inch goldeye and a 3 inch shad.

On the bright side, we scoped a ton of water and actually found those dudes stacked up in 40 feet of water. Actually, we found them in a couple of spots. Well, morale was low so we decided to go ahead and try our luck. We tossed out our three little baits and in about 10 minutes, we had two fish and Pearl lost one -- so, no more bait and we were back to the drawing board.

This had to be the most frustrating trip I've been on. Everything was hard. Everything. And I just know we could have absolutely whacked 'em if I had any meat at all.

I can't wait to get back out there, but I have to come up with another plan for bait. That was ridiculous.

Is there skipjack for sale anywhere around here?

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I feel your pain Greg. Thats the way most of my year went. Where were you fishing and how big were the fish you caught??

3. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Put in at the cobbles. 8lber and 5lber made it to the boat. Of course the one that got off felt much bigger.....but who knows.

Basically 10 minutes of soak time.....I'm still miffed.

4. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    We usually found bait behind the barges that are tied up. If not there we would go down river to the River Des Pere.sp?? Down a good ways on the St. Louis side.

5. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    We usually catch bait behind those barges and actually threw behind everyone of them half way down to the river of the pear. A couple of hours worth anyway.

We caught them there the other night........but we couldn't catch squat today.

The river conditions are different every time I fish them. Water depth, wind, and temp are the variables --- and Pearl / Nessie are the score keepers. Subsequently, we have no pattern.

6. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Just got a report from Dink and Al Struckoff. They fished the Mo. today. Had plenty of bait. Caught 4 fish. 15,14, 10, and 6. they caught 3 real quick in the same place then it shut down. They said they talked to brother Rat. He was eminating odiferous eminations.

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmm IT WAS COLD :smile2:

Anyhoo, we found one spot with fish and whacked two of them, and missed 3 rips. Thats it. Fished 6-7 other spots with fish and no takers. Found a large quillback for bait and both of the fish came off of it. No bites on the skipjack.

Ol Punkin caught both fish. Big one was 9.80 Pounds.

I've never been out there before and had my level winds slinging ice chunks when I reeled. :smile2:

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Oh, I wish I could have been out there. I'm so jealous. No, I was forced to stay at hone in a warm bed, although I admit I did go lay under a blanket on the couch an watch a couple of football games. In spite of my misfortune in not being able to fish today, I am glad you all had a good time.:wink:

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Well sounds like everybody caught fish today but me! I gave it my best though...I busted ice to get bait, only had to throw the net 3 times to get plenty of shad! WHEW! but finding the fish proved to be a daunting task. I hit the Missouri today, put in at St Charles and went about 8-9 miles up river, graphing just about every dang wing dyke. I could mark a few fish in some different spots, but getting them to bite was a different story.

All the fish I did mark looked pretty small though too. I did mark one decent size fish behind a wing dyke that had blown out in the middle, it was just laying on the slope right in that current, set up on him for about an hour dangling fresh cut shad in front of him, but he wouldn't bite! :confused2:

It was a bitter cold out there today! That metal boat was so damn cold that when water got on it, it basically turned to ice. That along with the ice building up on the line and eyelets when reeling in the lines!

I think the best part of the day was actually breaking ice to throw the net! Once I got a big enough area broke out though, and thawed out the the net, three throws yielded plenty for the day! :smile2:

Stitch and I are hitting the river in the morning, just have no idea where to go just yet.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    ah no worries ratman, I shared the odiferous one with you as Ol Punkin caught both of our fish. :smile2:

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Greg, I'd like you to meet Bill, Bill, this is Greg.

Now, off to solve world hunger.

12. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Pretty funny. I guess it could be that simple.

In the meantime, I'll just have to think about what might of been.... That is the first time I wasn't able to get bait.

13. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Greg,
    I am just happy it wasn't me throwing the castnet this time. I would have had to listen to you for three hours complaining about everything:roll_eyes:.

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    We didnt find any shad either. We tossed a dozen times and all we got was the quillback and two asians. We figured we only had a certain amount of time to fish before dark so we just went with what we had.

Water temp varied between 36 and 38 degrees, yet the fish and hits we did get hit pretty darn hard for being winter time. I was pretty surprised.

15. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois

THAT is funny:big_smile_2:

16. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I agree Brent that had me laughing my arse off. Well Cuz we did what we set out to do and that was to beat Bob.:smile2: I am sure that he will get back out there and raise the bar again. I will tell you one thing, you should find out who does the weather reports for your phone and I want to have a heart to heart with that joker. Cuz lets me know that it is going to be 41 degrees on Sunday (according to his phone). It felt like it was in the teens all day on that river.

Don't get me wrong it was nice to get back out there but it was a weird day. We marked a lot of fish that looked like cats but we were mostly marking smaller fish. They were hitting pretty good until the south wind picked up and the sun came out. After that we had a hard time getting bit. This cold weather is for the birds, I think the next time I go it will have to be a bit warmer.

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Perhaps Kutter will share his cave with us. :smile2:

18. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    It sounds like you and Nessie are playing the same game. You two are made for each other. While the rest of us are out there trying to pick off the next world record, you and Nessie will be sitting at star bucks drinking your ice coffee and reading poetry.

19. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Comments like that are going to get you taken off of the Christmas card list Greg. It would be a shame too, I have a nice little poem on this years.:roll_eyes: Why so hostile, do you need me to direct you on where to find some bait??

Cuz I think Kutter might be a genius!

20. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Oh, that wasn't hostility -- it was a poor attempt of playing match maker. :roll_eyes: You see, Nessie has a thing.......nevermind.:embarassed:

I am bitter about not finding bait though. There are too many variables as it is.