Found some new line (YO-ZURI)

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by matt, Oct 14, 2006.

1. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    i saw some fishing line to day and i was wondering if any body has used it or ever heard of it the name of it is YO-ZURI HYBRID Fluorocarbon Line 50lb if you have ever used it how is it and does it do the job for big fish ??????

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    It is around most of the saltwater tackle shops here. The advantage of flourocarbon line is that it is supposed to be invisible while it's in the water.

Two things, first off catfish can't see that well, so why use it. Secondly it is far more expensive than your traditional lines, so again why use it ? But back to your question, the people that I know who have used it say that it works okay.

Have a good day, Elliot

3. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i use hybrid a lot. it has very little stretch and awsome abrasion resistance. wal mart usually has the best price 600 yds of 40lb for 13 dollars.

4. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Its technically not flourocarbon its co-polyer, mono wrapped (coated) in flourocarbon. I think its relatively cheap, has less stretch than monofilament, and flourocarbon is notorious for excellent abrasion resistance and wet strength, so IMO its great stuff. A little stiffer and a little more memory than mono but it behaves. Just remember that floro does NOT absorb water like mono, so wet your line thoroughly when clinching down knots or you risk damaging the line.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    #1-I think it makes a great saltwater line as it does not absorb water as do most lines.I know of no way to rinse the salt water out of a spool of line on a reel without stripping all of the line off of the spool,rinsing it,and reeling it back on.The next best thing is repeated soakings of your line loaded spools if you can remove them conveniently.Even then,as your line soaks up water like a sponge,you can not wash the salt out of the line completely.#2-It seems to have really great abrasion resistance and can be used for and often eliminates the need of a leader if you are fishing with it as your main line.#3-It floats.This is great for float fishing over and beyond abrasive sand,gravel.submerged structure,even sharp oyster shell rakes or beds where fish hang out.A long rod of your choice up to as much as 20 feet long is great for holding high and reeling fish in over this type structure.Hey,it works!#4-YO-ZURI HYBRID fishing Line size,test and breaking strengths.I buy the 6 lb.test which is .010 in.dia.and has a 11.9 lb.avg.breaking strength.Also the 12 lb.test which is .013 in.dia. and has a 19.5 lb.avg.breaking strength.Also the 60 lb.test which is .031 in.dia. and has a 79.3 lb.avg.breaking strength.Few lines are this flexible and all that I know of have premium prices.Compare the breaking strength to other lines and it suddenly gets cheaper.Even more so if you buy it by volume in spools by weight.#5-Very little memory.Even the 60 lb. with the 79.3 lb.avg.breaking strength handles great on a spinning reel for fishing pilings,shell and such.No! It won;t do everything better,but I think that it is one of the great lines that can be widely used.I do see it as a far more useful line for salt water or multi water and use rigs.The 6 lb.works great on a rod and reel that are both rated 6-12 lbs.The 12 lb.works the same for 12-20 lb.rated rigs.Works great when changing lure and bait weights,and handles a wider variety of fish weights with the same outfit.It is a waterproof,multi weight monofilament type line to me.YO-ZURI's major drawback with me is that I always want to save it and use my "Junk lines" up.peewee-williams

6. paidin

paidin New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
  7. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
  8. paidin

paidin New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Hi peewee,

According to Geoff Wilson's "Complete book of fishing knots and rigs" page 13, its called a "Double overhand loop".

the description is:
    1. Form a loop in the end of your line.
    2. Tie the loop in an Overhand knot.
    3. Add another wrap to the knot.
    4. Close the knot up tight.

Of course he had a ton of other knots I could use but I basically made up the knot myself. Unfortunately, other people made up this knot themselves before I did so technically I dont get to name it "Paidin's Super Duper Looper Knot" like I so wanted to.

If you guys have a better knot I can use that is stronger, that would be great! I am open to suggestions.

paidin

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I am waiting on a answer from Y0-Zuri on the knot that they recommend using with their line.Being it is a hybrid,I thought it best to ask.I will post here when I get a answer.peewee-williams

10. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    1st.I want to mention that the Yo-Zuri Hybrid is just that.A hybrid with a claimed stretch on their website.I e-mailed them and asked "what are the strongest knots to use with Yo-Zuri Hybrid lines of 6 lb.,12 lb.,and 60 lb.test.that I use?" The answer that I received was "The strongest know to tie a hook or lure is going to be the Palomar knot.It is sometimes difficult to tie with larger lures and also use a uni knot to make a loop on some lures for better action.Hybrid will act the same as normal monofilament and all knots work fine just be sure to wet the lines while tying knots so you don't weaken the line.We appreciate your support with our products.Thank you." Dave Bertolozzi Assistant Manager Sales & Marketing Yo-Zuri America Dave@yo-zuri.com I copied it letter by letter as I don't know how to transfer it over to this.Due to the wording,I suspect a translation or foreign education. I found out that I boo booed bad on the floating.It will not float now.I am still a figuring on this one.????peewee-williams

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have 40# on two 6500's. I like it very much and will continue using it.

12. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Pure flourocarbon floats (or does for a little while at least)... hybrid lines slow down sinking though, and are good for being able to use slow sinking presentations on bigger, heavier baits like jigs.

13. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I'm totally confused about the Palomar knot. I can tie my swivel to the line using the Palomar knot. I can tie my hook onto the leader line with the Palomar knot. It appears impossible to then tie the leader line to the swivel with the Palomar knot because the swivel is hooked to line from my reel??? I therefore use the Palomar knot for two of the ties but have to use another knot to tie the leader line to the swivel. What am I missing??

14. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Tie your rig in a different order. Try it this way.

1. Tie your hook on the leader.
    2. Tie your swivel to the other end of the leader that you already have the hook tied on to.
    3. Tie you leader that has both the swivel and the hook to your main line last.

The key is to tie your main line to the reel as the last thing. That way you can use the palomar for all three knots.

15. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use hybrid line for many applications now. Currently I have several different brands on my different reels. I use pound tests of 2 through 12 pound and I have been quite satisfied with the results I have gotten so far. I have not use it yet in the higher test strengths or in salt water so I can really speak to the issues that could be involved there. But for what I have used it for, it has performed to my expectations. I would have no problem recommending hybrid lines for most applications.

16. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Thanks Cathound for the information. I guess I will just have to take the time to run the leader line through the loop when I tie to main line. I will be using your suggestion in tying the Palomar knots in the future.

I use the Yo-Zuri line in both 25# and 30# and I love it. No disadvantages that I have found. It really helps pull the cats from cover!