Found some mushrooms today

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by field989, Apr 29, 2007.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    [​IMG]first time i ever went looking for mushrooms and i found 8gonna eat em tomorrow...just figured id share this...any tips would be appreciated...also lets hear how u guys did in ur shroom huntinthanksJeff

2. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Man I'de be very very cautious about eating mushrooms...just be extremely sure you have the right kind. There's three possibilities: you'll be okay, it'll mess you up, or it'll kill you. I still wouldn't eat them, but I know nothing at all about mushrooms. Hopefully somebody else will chime in with some info.

3. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Hey Jeff that was a good find, soak them in salt water over night,
    tommorow dip them in milk and roll in flour and fry. enjoy !

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Looks like you found the right kind. NOw if you don't want to mess with them box them up send them my way. I'll take real good care of them for you. Slice them in half soak overnight in salt water.roll in egg batter and fry and enjoy. Myself I can't seem to find nothing but TICKS:roll_eyes: . Looks like the ones you found had been up for awhile .Good just the same.

5. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    Thanks

I got them soakin right now....

i got a question whats up with them black bugs... i know thats what the salt water is for.... but thats how i was plannin on cookin em.... flour and fry

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    yea there are a TON of deer ticks out... when we were turkey hunting they were EVERYWHERE

but luckily i only had 2 ticks hooked in ....

7. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    bugs love them as much as we do just soke them in salt water that will get ride of them if your going to find any more you better be getting at it here in Ind. the ones we got here are just about done for its been bad year for them here

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I used to fry my mushrooms in a fry-daddy with straight vegetable oil. This year, I used a cast iron skillet. The deep half of a cast iron dutch oven actually, and used half oil, and half butter about an inch deep. The mushrooms were very lightly breaded and seasoned. They turned out way better for me this way than just in oil. The butter really made the flavor 'pop'. Don't overcook them. I've really gotta get back out there since it's warmed back up. Had to choose between fishing and mushroom hunting today, and chose fishing.

9. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i found 16 friday,soaked in salt water and had them for breakfast saturday morning.

10. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    congrats on your find. I found 89 a few weeks ago before that last cold snap hit.

11. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    don't worry about those little black bugs. When you soak them over night those bugs will be floating on top of the water in the morning, just pour them off the top and rinse. I usually cut my mushrooms in half long ways so I can inspect the inside of them for bugs and bad spots.

12. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Congrats. Nice yellow M. Eculenta, AKA sponges. Tasty fried in butter only w/ a dash of salt and pepper. You can see some of mine a thread titled While morel hunting. Between Andy and I and TJ one time our gatherings totaled near 350 and this was a bad year in Ohio. I hear they are already going nuts in N Michigan so I may have to postpone the trip planned for May 20 until next year. They should be just about done from the reports I have seen and the weather they are having by the time I owuld make it up this year. Andy is going the week before and will judge then.