Found Some flathead catfish in High Rock Lake!

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by miichael, Oct 22, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Been fishing hard every weekend looking and searching for big Flatheads. Finally me and my uncle got onto some. We anchored up in a spot that looked great for Flatheads but we tried it for 2 hours catching 1 channel cat. We moved to another spot i wanted to try out. We anchored up and my uncle's clicker took off then stopped. every now and then it would click a little then stop after about 20 minutes of that he decided to try to catch it. Reeled it in was a 7lb Flathead that swallowed the hook and all but wouldn't run. We couldn't get them to run but after figuring that out helped us a lot. They was being very slow at taking the bait. We ended up with 4 Flatheads and few channel cats. Usually Flatheads just eat the bait then swim off with it but this time not one time did they run with the bait. they pull a little and stop. were going to hit the same spot again next weekend and see how it does. The cold front may have had them so slow. We got a 7lb 9lb 25lb and a 26lb. Even the big fish didn't run. He eat the live bream and just more less stayed there with hook. anyone else notice them doing this?

2. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Heres some pictures.

3. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Heres the pictures.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    nice catch. what lake? high rock they got that yellow look to them.

5. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yep we was fishing high rock. Been fishing it hard here lately and just now found a few fish :big_smile:

6. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I've caught small flats that just put a little pressure on the line and seem to just hold it in one spot. That was on cut bait though while fishing for blues.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sounds like to me you was fishing tight in cover and the flats was staying into the cover. just run out grab the bait and hold tight to the cover. water temps are getting cooler also which more than likely is starting to slow them down a little. was you fishing deep water?

8. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the pic I love seeing pic of fish.

9. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    we was fishing heavy cover in deep water. i guess thats why they wouldnt run with it. shouldnt they be feeding up for the winter?

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yes but that dont mean they are moving much. from what i have seen they will stack up this time of year and hold tight to deep cover and pretty much stay there until the water temps shut them down for the winter. so you should have a honey hole for the next 3-4 weeks. maybe you have found a wintering hole for them. that seems to be the main ticket to flatheads this time of year. location, location,location and then what are they feeding on. once you find this out, you are in for some good fishing in the fall.

11. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I was at high rock last night, fishing with live bream. Bait clicker did a few clicks but I let it sit, had to cut 2 lines. wraped up in stumps. after reading your post I think I should have paid more attention, that was my signal!! Also set a couple with large minnows on the bottom... caught 4 large crappie.

12. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Nice catch and thanks for sharing the pics brother.

AL