Found out Husband is Diabetic

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by boswifedeb, Oct 21, 2008.

1. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    We just found out last week that my hubby Bo is diabetic. It's not too bad, but we're having to make some adjustments - diet, exercise, etc. Does anyone have any advice or great low carb recipes? I'm sure he would appreciate it and I most certainly will!

2. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Deb most adults are being diagnosed as type II diabetics. If you walk into a
    doctor's office a little overweight and complaining of a general low energy
    level you will leave the doctor's office on insulin, the new opiate of the people.
    Just learn to use a small plate and put salad on it one out of three
    times you sit in front of the plate. Go fishing as often as you can, clean
    the fish and store them in the freezer until you need to eat them. Replace
    the time you usually watch mindless drivel on the TV with yard work,
    tinkering with your car and boat and use a bicycle to visit your relatives
    and friends every week. Check your blood sugars until your A1C results
    stabilize in the normal range then only schedule a checkup every six months.
    Increase your physical activities until your weight is near enough to
    the normal range published that you feel comfortable. Live long and prosper.

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Debbie, do not feed him any white foods (rice, potatoes, macarona, milk, ice cream, bread, biscuits, corn meal, grits, corn cerals, etc. If he wants to eat them, limit him to 1/2 cup per meal. No candy, soft drinks, sweet ice tea, cakes, pies, etc. Tell him to walk at least 20 minutes per day.

I took 30 pounds off doing the above and dropped my blood sugar count from 196 to 95 to 110. By doing this, I do not have to take any med's. Sounds hard to do, but once you set your mind to it, you/he can do it. I also snack in between meals, ie peanut butter with a little honey in it, apple or orange, etc. Raisens are out due to their high sugar content.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Closely follow the Doctors advice. Take the prescribed medication. Get plenty of exercise. See a nutritionist and follow their directions on proper eating.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    A friend of mine has to stay away from fruit pies also due to the natural sugar content in the fruit. He can also eat other sugarless pies which he loves. Also learn the signs of a diebetic when he neds to eat a snack. May save a life some day.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Get your SAMPLES of the sugar subs, some are good tasting to one and not the other, I myself use the splenda it is the better of them to my taste, like said above, listen to the doctor, and all can be pretty normal type living... if he is testing blood, there are many many machines out there, and if you need to buy one on your own money, look at the company web sites, as most of them will send you one for free....... if insurance is a problem, as it unfortunately is now a days.

7. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i wish him the best of luck

8. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Thanks for all the replies!:smile2:

I've been watching what he eats since Friday, and today has been the best as far as his testing goes. He hit 100 right on the nose. I think keeping him away from the real Dr. Peppers and having more salads has done the trick. He said the Diet Dr. Pepper is just as good. That's a big relief. He's been addicted to them as long as we've been together. I told him at the doctor's last week that it wasn't just him in this fight, 'cause that's part of what I signed up for 15 years ago when we were married.

Bo loves to look over my shoulder when I'm on here( mainly because of all the cracking up!) but he's not much of a computer guy or he would be a member, too. Y'all help me convince him to join!!:smile2:

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Hey I know someone you might be able to explain that part to :roll_eyes:......... Bo, sign up! the Misses says so! :smile2:

10. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Deb, I just found out recently that I am diabetic also so let Bo know that he's definatley not alone.

The doctor told me no carbinated drinks period. I had already cut them out months ago and lost nearly twenty pounds. :eek:oooh: I drink mostly water now nothing else. I watch my carbs and sugars and sodium and have already lost a few more pounds.

Remind Bo that there are a lot of people on here that aren't computer savy either but the more they are on here the more they learn.

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    What Mac said. Don't have to eliminate them all but ya can't eat em like ya used to. Activity is a major factor. Get up and go. :wink:

12. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Deb,
    Sorry to here that, with a good diet and excise will help a whole lot . My son has been dealing with that about 5 years now. The only bad thing he talks about is the life change that he had to go through but really it was for the best.

Good luck and our prayers are with you and your family

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    You hit the nailon the head Micky the only thing I could add is that its a change of lifestyle not just a diet :smile2:

14. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Thanks again for all the info, advice and prayers. Bo works on a research farm for Univ. of Tenn. and is on his feet pretty much all day everyday, so by the time he gets home, he's pretty tired. But -- we need to get out and walk. So I told him to just consider it a cheap date!!:smile2: At least we're getting out more and have had more chances to talk. And the dog is getting to go somewhere, too!! She's been eating it up.

Thanks again.:wink:

15. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I just got diagnosed as well. Lost 40lbs and it made my sugar higher. Go figure. LOL.

I am on the strict diet and taking some pills that arent working. I go back Friday to see about getting some of the 'real' pills that will help increase insulin production and/or decrease sugar production. It will be a nice long trial and error until right meds are found. Hopefully he can avoid insulin.

Best of luck on it.

16. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    More

One thing I do is boil lot of my meats and then bake them. It removes a lot of extra fats and juices.. you know.. the good stuff. More salad, simple snacks... only thing you really HAVE to pay attention to is carbohydrates.

Also what breads adn such.. anything with 'enriched flour' as an ingredient is not a sgood for ya. Processed and high carb in it, which then turns into lots of sugar that the body can't handle. My sugar hovers at 230... which ya, before i lost weight it was 150. LOL. So I do not know... I am starting the assault of pills thing to find what works and right balance of stuff.

17. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Brian, I hope they get you straightened out. Bo is doing pretty good. His levels are falling into line pretty good. As far as bread, we've been eating the wholegrain wheat ( I like it better anyway!). It sure will be nice when he gets a deer - lots of lean meat!!:smile2:

18. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Debbie, tell Bo thay prayers for easing his transition to a different set of life rules are sent his way. I hope he can master the problem and enjoy a long catfishing filled life with you. Brotherly love to you both, Ronnie

19. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Hope everything improves for him, God Bless and good luck