Found On A Fishing Trip

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Vonroc, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    I found this recently while on a fishing trip. Appears to be a boot spur, looks like it's made of brass looks old. No marking, anyone know anything about spurs.Here are 2 pictures. It looks like it had a wheel at the pointed end.

Attached Files:

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Definitely a spur, hard to tell how old . The part you called a wheel is a rowel and seems to have rusted away, (usually made of a low grade of steel). Would be easier to trace if you could find a makers mark or brand name.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
  4. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    ka c4 boom, man you are on it. The spurs with the horse heads kinda looks like what I found.Mine looks old but being outside in the water for a couple of years I guess could make it look that way.Thanks for the info.

5. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
  6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
  7. gater460

gater460 New Member

State:
    eldon,mo
    kind of looks like a wish bone from deformed turkey lol

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Wow that could have been Custers:cool2:

9. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Now there is an interesting thought

10. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That is really a neat find, Michael! I hope that you'll be able to get more info about it.
    I didn't know much about the differences between bronze and brass, so I looked this up:

Bronze vs. Brass

1. Bronze is the familiar brownish color whereas brass is the more greyish greenish, bluish. Both will weather to the fine verdigris patina without maintenance.

2. They differ in the amont of metals used in the amalgam. Brass is a combination of copper and zinc while brass is a combination of copper and tin.

There's more here ~ http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060803230342AAEHfdg

Good luck!

11. guns sugar

guns sugar New Member

State:
    Georgia
    looks like english riding spur... saw some similar when i worked at a stable that trained people to jump their thoroughbreds. Just a thought.

12. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Thanks everyone for your input. I'll do some checking let you know what I come up with. My luck is someone threw it away , bought it last year.Worth 10 cents, well nothin lost, it's always neat to find something.

13. Grub Worm

Grub Worm New Member

State:
    Texas
    cool find!
    not often do you find stuff like that