Found my deer for sure

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by CatfishHateMe, Nov 20, 2006.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    as long as its not shot yet or doesnt get shot. ive found the perfect first trophy buck for me. 14 points, wide, thick antlers, at least 225lbs. he ran right behind my stand yesterday, he was getting chased by 3 stray dogs. didnt get a shot but i kno where he is and i found a rub that has to be his, its huge, on a cider tree. i watched him through the binoculars but i couldnt get close enuf range for a slug between us. those dogs are dead by the end of the season if they dont get out tho, everyone on the property that hunts(4 sometimes 5) want them gone. everyone has had deer chased by them right under their stands at least once.

2. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    Is it legal in your state to run dogs? If so, I seriously doubt those dogs are "stray". A pack of dogs ran a 7 point up on me during black powder and I got a successful shot while the deer was on the run. The dogs ran off. Around here it is illegal to run dogs during black powder but not during modern gun. They looked like a bunch of mutts to me but who knows, someone might have been running them. It's a good thing I'm a dog lover or someone might have been short a few.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Not legal to run em with dogs in IN. Kid you be careful now. We got a problem in the south, feral dogs. (wild) If you get caught on the ground try and shoot the lead dog. Also got coydogs and they are not timid or shy like a cayote. Not trying to scare ya,(not sure I could), but if you don't see any collars, take em out. Shoot, then move, Shoot, then move.
    They will try and circle you if more than six. Be mindful of your backdrop when your shooting, if with a partner, make yer stand back to back. Down on the Ohio in winter I've seen over a dozen pack up. If they are hungry you ain't no different than a feed calf...hope you get your buck.
    :wink:

4. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il

yeah i kno about those, its like that up here to, people dont kno how to keep there dogs fenced up and they breed with coyotes and its like a coyote that has no fears. most the time if you take the lead dog then the rest will kindda get scattered and wont be as organized. its only happened to me once with 2 dogs that looked like wild dogs and 2 of what im pretty sure where coyotes. they came in from a field when i was out scoutin and i had my shotgun with some shells for squirrle. i took out 2 of em and the other 2 wised up and took off. i didnt kill the 2 when i shot em but i put em down. and called my dad and he came out with his .44 and they were good as gone when he got there and put a slug in em. i wont mess around with any pack of dogs wild or not, more people are killed by dogs than alot of other things you think would be man killers.

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I hate getting messed up by loose dogs chasing deer when I'm stand hunting in western VA. Its happened too many times. That said, I absolutely love running deer with dogs over here in Eastern VA. I have been hunting on a friend's place the first Sat after Thanksgiving for every year since 1982. I never miss it. We release three packs of dogs on different parts of the farm and its non stop pandamonium for three hours. My pal usually has 20 to 30 guys show up. Depends on the weather. Some years we get 9 or 10 other years close to 30 deer before noon. Its a buckshot only county. For those that have never done it. Whacking a deer flying by at 30 miles an hour at thirty yards with buckshot is exciting. Hearing the beagles running deer non stop always hoping they will turn your way. Its a whole different game from sitting in a tree. These two hunts always occur on doe days so there's plenty of shooting opportunities. A few years ago the owner made a big buck only rule so now we see plenty of bucks. Here's a picture from 15 years ago when any deer was a target.

Attached Files:

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good morning, I hope you get your big buck. We run deer dogs down here, only during general gun season. Sometimes the dogs will get big bucks up & moving for you that you might not ordinarily see

Good Luck

7. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    That is quite a harvest thanks for sharing!