Found: More SW Ohio Idiots on the GMR

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Went out by myself this morning, hit the West Carrolton Pool in the Smurf boat, launched at 8:30 at the Upper Ramp, and when I got there there were already 2 boats there, no problem, got in and ran downstream a ways and started fishing my way back up stream, Got a few turtle hits and basicaly was trying some different spots and the such, only getting another softshell ( #16 for the year) so I now an living in Turtle Purgatory....:sad2: and a nice 4 lb channel and while downstream of the ramp I noticed two different bass guys putting in and then heading upstream at full tilt which isnt a problem until you pass all the University of Dayton Crew members in there shallow draft skulls about getting swamped, I could hear them yelling at the bass guys who just kept on going, (These were the first idiots of the day) so as I headed upstream past the ramp I see 2 people fishing from lawn chairs off the dock at the ramp and keep on heading upstream, I go as far as the motor I have will allow and the bass guys have obviously went over the spot where the water is only 8" deep from bank to bank ( these are brave souls) and fish some more then start heading back to the ramp after a while ( no more fish) and as Im getting close to the ramp, I pass 2-3 more bass guys out and then I notice the two folks are still on the 3 ft wide dock so I slowly pull up to the ramp side since there fishing the other side where I would normally dock while getting the car.

They are in lawn chairs 1 behind the other, a 13-14 year old boy in front with a older dad type behind him, there fishing minnows with quality spinning gear so not total novices. Anyways i pull up an while throwing the rope around the broken cleat, it slips off and the dad grabs it and puts in around for me, "Thanks" I tell him as I tie up and start to get out of the boat by jumping on a dock that has no room, so as I do this he offers his hand to me to help me up and I reply "thanks " again while we chatted small talk about catching and lack there of, so I quickly head to the truck as there is someone else pulling back up to the dock. It takes me all of about 1 minute to back the trailer in the water close enough for me to step off the dock to the back of the truck where I can latch the boat and pull out. Ok as I am about to jump off the back of the truck back onto the dock, he offers his hand to make sure I dont fall in, "Thanks " again I reply and as Im walking around the front of the truck to get in and pull out, he says rudely, " Hey, at least you boaters could do is show some consideration as I'm up here trying to help you and all you can do is mutter a simple "thanks"? " so I stop and look at him and he is totally torqed off now because the next boat is coming in and its obviously effecting his fishing and all I say is, "you know its illegal to fish off a public boat dock?" and he replies, "its not a boat dock, its a fishing Pier" so I just walk around and pull out, head up a ways and tie down while the next guys have dropped off a guy to get his truck and trailer and he must have said something to him too as he muttered something to me about the idiots on the dock and I nodded in agreement and took off.

I dont mean to vent but I swear the GMR is the briar capitol of the universe!!!! ( This ramp is in Moraine so its obvious the Nut doesnt fall very far from the tree)

Long story of a vent and I appreciate anyone here still reading this, I feel better now, thanks and by the way, if anyone remembers some of Dinkbusters tails of idiot ski boaters posted on here earlier this year, this is the same place....

Salmonid

2. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Everyone Needs To Vent Every Now And Again Brother. Wish You'd Catch More Fish And Less Turtles.lol

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Veny away. I thought all the idiots were here in NC, lol

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I know people think we gripe a lot here in Ohio about our fishing waters and the idiots who live here and everyone thinks there home waters are as bad as any, but I seriously think we got everyone beat.....Ohio has less recreationable water per person then just about every state, I think Texas was the only state that had less public acerage per capita then Ohio, anyways Ill have to see if I can find that stat, Take 16 million folks and give them a crappy trespass law ( landowners own the bottom of the rivers so all are technically private) and build 25 or so decent state lakes for all them and there boats and your gonna have problems!!!, Did I mention that Ohio is so populated that most folks I know who are serious fishermen, all fish somewhere else.... Maybe there is some truth to the fact that the grass is greener everywhere else... I know on some Indiana and Penn boards I belong to, they bash the buckeye anglers hard, constantly...Its common on Penn Steelhead streams to have Ohio cars broken into and vandalized and even spraypainted with "Go Home" types of slogans. We just have too many anglers and not enough places for folks to go.Its that simple really and add the pleasure boaters and wake boarders and Jet skiers etc. and our resources take a beating. Again Im venting and I do understand its a growing problem everywhere but it just seems worse here.

Oh well, lucky for me I get to travel and fish all those other places...but I usually dont tell them Im not a local...:wink:

Salmonid

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Just an adventure everytime you go out. LMAO

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yup, thats the Moraine stretch alright! kinda wished i was there today....."oops, sorry i kicked your lawnchair in the water":angry: for some reason that ramp attracts folks that think its a fishing platform and will not move when you try to put in. been quite a few times i have had folks scurrying to grab their gear and get out of the way, I WILL RUN OVER IT!

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    You ever want to see some more buckeye idiots go to Lake Cumberland here in Ky. They have boats bigger than my house and they dont know how to launch it, tow it or operate it. :crazy:

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mark it's not venting if its true. Idiots abound, and the DNR should offer an open season. Maybe even a 10 dollar bounty on each carcass.

9. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that. :lol:

Now take that same caliber of idiot, who have 25' or smaller boats, and cram them into the few resivoir lakes we have. You now have yourself a typical weekend on the water around here.

10. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dave,

You have to do what I do, and tell em all how great the fishing is up in Moraine :hell_boy:

On weekends, the only place you will find me in a boat is one of the limited horsepower lakes, that helps change the idiot boater ratio significantly:lol:

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Sal

For what it is worth to ya. Where I fish on the Ohio River and after dark, 85% of the time I'm all by my lonesome......which I like!!!!!

I can relate to the "other people" that you have to contend with.

:smile:

12. BassCat1

BassCat1 New Member

State:
    SC
    We have our fair share of idiots here in the upstate of SC! I am a Bass fisherman first & foremost, but I have to say my experience over the years in this area reveal that the biggest problems are these idot bass men who buy their $40,000 boat w/ their 225 and they think they know how to navigate lakes safely & handle boat traffic as well as those others fishing from his/her boat. It really gets to me sometimes. I try to treat others (I have a 'Toon) as I would want to be teated myself, but at times I've caught myself throwing the finger or giving the hard stare, all of which were deserved. That's the down-side to this wonderful country...Idiots can pretty much be idiots as long as they don't maim or kill. Which, by the way, is how a lot of people are maimed & killed every year on our waterways!

Good Luck & Be Safe!....Loosely translated, that means "watch out for the other guy & expect anything!

13. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Yea we have our fair share of complete idiots in OHIO, but i still think the good people outweigh the bad!:cool2:

14. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    Mark,

I'm sorry I was not able to go. You might have enjoyed my sermon. Most people have not seen my religious side, but I assure you that the spontanous baptism I would have given the fellow on the dock would have been a show stopper.

Spencer

15. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

but I assure you that the spontanous baptism I would have given the fellow on the dock would have been a show stopper.

Now thats funny, I would pay to watch that!!!!

16. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    All I can say is I guess our culling of idiots off to other states must be working as most people here in Iowa are courteous and will give you a wide berth when fishing, or we ask them to move to Ohio. lol OK, seriously I feel your pain and I used to live in a state that the land owner owned the river bottom but not the water in the river. It was written that way so that you couldn't walk along the bank in the water and cross their land but you could be in a boat and fish as long as you didn't touch shore or bottom. I don't know about anchoring if it would of been legal or not as your anchor would be on their land. Just a thought that you might want to check out the intended meaning or interpretation of the law in your area on this matter.

17. ripleyhunter

ripleyhunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    have u ever waited 25 minutes for 1 person to load his boat, with help from his friend! that has happened to me at the East River Rd ramp 2 times! The Moraine police patrol that ramp about every hour so next time just hang around for a while and let lawdog tell them to move off of the dock. I try not to let people like that ruin my day. That's a great stretch of river and I usaully do pretty good.

18. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    25 minutes for a wait while someone loads his boat?? that sounds like Mellon.....:tounge_out:

Ive been pretty lucky since I put in early or late there but have had a few morons around the ramp. I usually start helping folks and that helps out. Plus if there by themselves, ill give them a little extra leeway, sometimes when your by yourself, its windy or whatnot and loading can be a little tough.

salmonid

19. ripleyhunter

ripleyhunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    I know what you mean and I guess I've been fairly lucky. But for the record, if memory serves me correct both times they had help. But I guess if u don't boat in rivers a lot then u don't know how to lead the current coming in. Oh well I don't let it bring me down, for to long!

20. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    You all keep yours up there in Ohio.We have enough of our own down here. And vent all you want to my friend I love hearing a good story.