Found grubs in backyard, think they'll work for bluegill?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by curtis, Apr 25, 2006.

1. curtis

curtis New Member

State:
    california
    I found some grubs in my backyard and was wondering if they will work good as bait for the blue gill for my trip to the colorado river. I'm pretty sure they will, but I would appreciate any input from you guys. THanks!

2. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah i have caught some bluegill on those big ole white grubs before but that about it.

3. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    they work great for trout. get some trout guts and heads and you got some off the best catfish bait!

im sure they will work good for some panfish. if they dont pick up a back of garden worms and mealworms.

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Only one way to find out... drown those grubs;)

5. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    The white grub makes a good channel catfish bait. as well as a good bait for other fish as said above.

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have used them to wreak havoc on gills, crappie, and perch. I have caught a few cats on them. I love them because they are so tough that you can catch many fish on the same grub. Like using a plastic bait only better. I am going to try adding garlic to my grubs this year.

7. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    If there's one thing i noticed about bluegill fishing its that any type of worm or larvae that u throw out there even cheese or dough they will bite it. Although this is true i have had most luck on waxworms and crawlers on a bobber theyll take it easilly. Use very very small hooks as small as u can go ull reel in a lot of fish I swear by it.
    Joe

8. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    two words for you...heck...and...yes.....

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    curtis, use a no.8 aberdeen hook under a small bobber and just enough weight to sink the grub. then after casting to gills count to 10 . I usually dont' make to 10. if gills are present. they are great bait. any you don't want I'll take off your hands. lol good luck grubbin,catch ya later.

10. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Any kind of grubs are amazing baits for panfish. The only problem I have is finding them!!! Anyone know where I can find a bunch of grubs to fish with?

11. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio

You can find the white grubs right under your lawn. Just dig a little under the grass, 4 to 6 inches. If you have a very nice lawn, you probably do not have grubs though. Grubs ruin lawns, somehow, not sure how. I just know most people that take care of their yards will throw something on the lawn to remove the grubs.

I have used them for channel without a bite. I guess they work for the gills, but they seem a bit big for me as bluegill bait.

12. AZCAT

AZCAT New Member

State:
    Arizona
    check the woods, for dead rotting trees. They are loaded with grubs!

13. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks for the help!!!! I found some in my yard, and in a dead log by the river. I wonder what they would turn into. Probably some type of beatle??

14. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    If yiu have a healthy supply of grubs I think you have a healthy supply of panfish bait. Now go get them wet!

15. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Okay, i guess i lied. What i thought were the grubs that you guys were talking about turned out to be "pill bugs" as my dad calls them. They are little bugs maybe 1/8 inch in length, and shaped like a pill. When you pick them up they act like an armadillo and curl up into a little ball. Even though they weren't grubs, I figured that the gills would still eat them, but those damn things won't uncurl!!!! If you try to force them to uncurl, they squish, and the bluegills don't want to eat a little ball of something they probably can't even smell. I think I'll go luck for grubs again in the morning.