Found a Dog

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by youngcatfisherman55, Jun 6, 2006.

1. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We found a dog outside our house that is nearly starved to death. It was laying down under the shade and we started calling her and she came. She also has something the matter with her foot and she wont walk on it. We gave her food and water. Man, she was very hungry. she ate 5 bowls of food. I cant believe someone would leave a dog for dead. She is a very nice dog and has no collar. As long as she stays around our house, we will feed her and give her water.

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Good for you , she will be a friend for life. Anyone that would starve a dog should not have food either!!

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Those are often the best dogs. Sad to hear that people will just abandon them like that:sad2:

4. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    You're a good young man.

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    way to go, Matthew - it is always a good thing when an abandoned dog can be spared. i have 5 dogs and would have more if the wife would let me:smile2:

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Im glad to hear that the pup found someone that will care for it..Good for you

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Its a good thing it came there.Sounds like you have a friend for life there.I agree whoever would mistreat an animal needs the same treatment.

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    When it gets a little healthier, you may want to take it to a vet and see if it has one of those locater chips imbedded in it's shoulder. It may have just gotten lost or jumped out of a car or something. I had a Plot Hound show up at the house once and it took me two years to find his owner. It had gotten lost in the mountains while hunting. It was understandable; the dog couldn't find a rib eye steak in a ruck sack! Dumbest hunting dog I've ever seen!

9. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana

I'm like Phil, if I had alot of land I would probably have alot of dogs.You did a good thing Matthew.Take care of her and she will return the love.I have 4 and they don't know they are dogs.They are so rotten...

10. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hey Mathew, You got a good heart! Glad to hear your story.

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Some people seem to think that dumping a dog out is more humane than putting an unwanted dog to sleep. After you've had to deal with a starving and hurt dog... you kinda get to see the other side of the debate. People who dump dogs out oughta be put to sleep themselves. Makes me sick.

Jerrod

12. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Definatly a good deed you did brother. Like others have said, take it to the vet when it gets a little healthier and have him checked out.

13. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good job, Matthew! Those dogs usually make the best companions. I know the one we brought home from our deer camp is the sweetest thing! He's just a big ole knuckle head, & we love him.

14. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Good job, Matthew. While you're nursing is back to health, you might want to check with the local papers and humane society to see if anyone reported a dog matched her description lost. Feed her a good diet and keep an eye on her paw. Good luck with your new dog!

15. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Your a fine upstanding gentleman! That almost choked me up. I have a faithful hound called "BUCK" he is the pup in my avatar. he is a blacklab/Dalmation~ Dalbrador? hehe! I rescued him from an ol' drunk that had him chained in a showerstall and kept kicking him to shutup! (he was just hungry and and wanted to play) He was just a lil' puppy after all! He is almost two years old and a fine hound he is. I love to take him fishing with me and love it when he get so excited when i get a fish on. Here is a pic of him this spring. You've done a heroic thing! Love it. She needs you right now. JMHO
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\My Pictures\turtle 1\fishing stuff\buck
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\My Pictures\turtle 1\fishing stuff\buck

16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Sorry, used wrong code... here is my Bucky!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks everyone. My dad is gonna put an ad in the paper on the dog when it starts putting a little weight on. Me and my dad searched for ticks on her and we found 4. We got 'em all off and killed 'em. I dont like to kill anything, but ticks are a little different. My dad is gonna give it ringworm medicine. She just lays down on our front porch or out in the shade. She really never gets up unless you come out there and pet her or you're giving her food. I tried to play ball with her but she didnt seem so interested. Maybe because of her foot. We plan on taking her to the vet as soon as she puts on some weight. You got a nice dog there Jay. Nice man to take that dog and keep it as your own. Buck seems happy about it to.:big_smile:

18. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Matthew, if you are planning to keep the dog you should go to the vet NOW. The problem with her foot could get worse with time, because you don't really know what it is. I would also get a heartworm test and have her checked for intestinal worms. If you take a stool sample with you it should be cheaper. Heartworm treatment is expensive. If she tests positive you may have to make a hard decision. Fattening her up is fine, but there is no point in doing that if she has some sort of health problem that is life threatening. I have made a friend for life in my Coale-man. He was found on the side of the road during a big thunderstorm, eight weeks old approximately and mangey as all get out! We almost named him Specs because all the hair was gone around his eyes and he looked like he was wearing glasses, plus his fur was full of the dandruff-like flakes that come with mange mites. Strays usually make good pets. They are very loyal.

19. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    A lot of good dog loving folk on here.I once had over 40 (At one time,for real) strays that I picked up here and there and gave a home.For years my local grocer sold me dog food cheaper by the pallet to help out.We didn;t have animal control back then.I don;t like to see a animal with out shelter and starving.Some were wild had been abused as they were terrified of hands.I got bit quite a bit.They would come to love me and come sit in my lap and even lick me,but would go crazy if you laid a hand on them.Made it hard to worm and such.I guess that I miss every dog that I ever knew.peewee-williams

20. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    good For You Matt,you Now Have A Friend For Life.i Salute You For What You Have Done. Just Keep An Eye On The Paw. Might Have A Throne In It. Love Your New Found Friend And I'll Grantee That It Wll Love You Just As Much If Not More. Couldn't Do Without My 9 Year Old Spoiled Rotten Puppy.