Found 2 old Penn Rod and Reel's

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Spongiform, May 25, 2006.

1. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Was cleaning out the garage today and I found an old bundle of fishing poles. They had to have been sitting there for atleast 20 years. The last person who used stuff like that who lived here moved out in 1985 when I was just a rug rat.

Most of the poles seemed pretty worn out and junky - but these took look like they could be used.

One is a Penn No.29 "Super Mariner" the second is a Penn 209.

Took a couple pictures of them.

Penn 209
    Penn 209
    Penn No 29
    Penn No 29

Any information would be helpful - I don't know a thing about these poles!

Are these the infamous baitcasters I keep hearing about on these forums?

What kind of maintenance should I do before using? I figure they need some lubing at the least - they feel a bit "dry" when I was messing with the reels. What kind of oil should I use?

What type of fishing are these *normally* used for? Think they'll be OK for shore fishing - assuming I only need to be able to cast out 15-30 feet or so.

Thanks in advance!

~
    Brian

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Don't trough any of the old rods away as I would like to have them if your going to get rid of them.

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    The Penn 29 is was used as a wire line trolling reel for big game. It is a very old reel and a good one also. shot me a pm with a phone number and I will give you all the info I know about them.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Just clean those old reels up and put them to good use!

5. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Jim I have one of those old Penns in the shed, I'll dig it out in the next couple days. It looks like the 209 in the 1st post in this thread. If you want it I'll send it to you, let me know.

6. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I can see right now you need to go through my garage too! They both need that touch of love then to the river we go. That 209 looks fine, just take her apart..use some light oil, I use sewing machine oil, grease her gears, slap on some new low vis. green line and you should be good to go. The 29 is as Gator said an old trolling reel. I have one that I put up in my collection. It's not that common you find one in good working shape. I'd hold on to that one and give it the tune up also. That 209 will cast a lot farther than 30ft. and will handle what ever you hook!
    Don

7. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I took the plate off the 209. It's very clean on the inside. No corrosion, no dirt, no gravel. So looks like I just need to oil it.

Dug around the house, i've got two kinds of lubricating oil.

1. "Gunk" Heavy duty silicone spray lubricant.
    Say's it "waterproofs, rust proofs and lubricates" "Compatible with all metal, wood and rubber"
    Use on springs, valves, hinges and etc.
    eliminates 'stops and squeaks'

2. sears-craftsman Bar and Chain lubricant for all chainsaws.

Either of this do the trick? I figure it only needs a couple drops?

~
    Brian

8. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I would not use that oil or silicone spray on them. Get an old rag lay it out and take the reels apart, clean them with a wet rag and let dry then lube with a light oil, such as 3in1 oil or go and buy some reel oil 1 or2 drops is all you need on most moving parts.

9. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I took the 209 almost completely apart. Looked very clean. I oiled the moving parts using 3-1 oil. Got it all back together cleanly and polished it up with an old toothbrush and a damp rag. Was mostly dust and stuff from being in the garage.

The gears and everything looked brand new. I couldn't see any signs of wear and tear. Maybe whoever owned it originally didn't use it much.

So now I need to know how to use this thing!
    I've never used anything but a basic spinning reel.

I poked and prodded and found 3 things on it that I'm not really sure what they do.
    I assume you hold the reel facing up?

Picture 1
    1. This switch flips back and forth. I think it's how you get ready to cast it or let more string out?
    2. This spoked wheel will turn about one full turn either direction. I think it's the drag but i'm not sure which way tightens or loosens?
    Picture 2
    3. This little switch flips up and down. I don't have the foggiest clue what it does.

Thanks for the help guys I really appreiciate. I'd be lost without the help here!

~
    Brian

10. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    #1- your right on that one, it engages or disengages your spool
    #2- turning it clockwise should be to tighten the drag.
    #3- is the clicker(bait alert), after you have casted out, you turn the clicker on (with the spool disengaged) to alert you when you have a run.
    :0a26:

11. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I took it out in the yard and did some test casting. Used a 2 lb wrench for a weight. Seemed pretty hard to reel in it and I couldnt cast more then 20 feet or so. Fiddled around with it for awhile. I think I had the screws tightened up too much so I loosened each one by about 1 turn. Much smoother now and should be good to go.

What size weights do you guys use with a reel this size? I'll be fishing the potomac which to my understanding is mostly channel cat - and I've been hitting 5-10 lbers consistently out there and a few ones bigger - but not sure how big, they ate my line!

Man now I'm dying to go back out and give this setup a run! Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend anyway!

12. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Sure I love old Penns just pm me so we can work old a few details.

13. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    You know Brian I can't say when I've enjoyed a post more than yours. We all get caught up in the business end of fishing, hooks, lines, poles, boats, motors and I for one am guilty as sin in forgetting how much fun fishing really is. I'd like to thank you for sharing your excitement over your new rods and reels. You took me back to a place I have not visited in a while.
    You did exactly right, get out there in the yard and get acquainted with your reel(209). You will find you can cast with as little as 1oz. sinker. I use from 4oz. to 14oz. depending on the type of current I'm fishing in. I would recommend you start with a 6-8oz and if you need to increase your weight it will be obvious by your line drifting. On the left side of your reel right in the middle, a silver nob adjusts the spool or line drag, the silver star on the right side adjusts the drag for fighting your fish..line strength. I know it sounds complicated but you'll get the hang of it. The easiest way to tell you is set your rig up the way you are going to fish with it. Trip the lever on the right and let the line drop freely to the ground. Don't cast it, just let it drop. When it hits the ground, the reel should stop. No bird nest, no loose line just stop. If it doesn't, turn the nob on the left just a little. Repeat until the line stops. I hope this helps, I have four 209's and I use them all. 8oz. of weight on a 7ft. trolling rod should cast 50-75yds without a backlash, when you master your drag settings.
    Let us know how you get along. If you need anything just pm me.
    Don

14. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Brian enjoy your reels Penn makes some of the best there is, I have a couple of old 285's and a new 310gti. I really like them all.
    Hans thank you for your unsolisited rant against abu's and the next time I go shark fishing in Ky. lake I will leave my abu's at the house and take only my Penns :big_smile:

15. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Hey dudes? what do yall` `think ab`out `okuma~?
    I got a coupla 454'`s`````` that seem to be fairly close to the 309's
    and a bit cheaper.

16. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I put a little smiley face at the end. The thing is nobody on this thread metioned Abu's you just came on here and started ragging on them if you want to voice your opinion about Abu's start a thread to do so. Oh and thanks for correcting my spelling. :tounge_out:

17. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    wow....what did abu garcia ever do to you? lol you're acting like abu personally offended you or somethin lol.....murray aint nowhere i was just there the other day....its real i swear

18. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I like both The Abu's and Penn .I own Penn from 9 to 9/0 I love them all.
    I also have several Abu' of all sizes I like them all.
    But when it comes to salt water fishing I would have to vote for the Penn.
    The Penn is the work horse of the salt water fishermen.Like Jim said I love old Penn Reels.

:big_smile_2:

:cat:

19. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    We all have our times I know I have more than I should. Abu is a good reel but given the choice I will take a Penn over 90% of the reels on the market With Accurate being my dream reels.

20. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I think we all have days like that Hans. I reread my post and I could have been less sarcastic in it. No hard feelings here, now lets go fishing.