Fort Wayne river catfishing

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Balex123, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey guys was wondering if anyone out there fishes any of the rivers here in Fort Wayne. I've been targeting the St. Joesph lately and been catching channel cats and just caught what I believe is a flathead yesterday.

2. dbman150

dbman150 New Member

State:
    indiana
    were did you catch the flathead i dont think there is any above the damn at leo . I have been fishing the maumee for flatheads i may go out tonight

3. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I caught it just a little bit north of Shoaff Park

4. dbman150

dbman150 New Member

State:
    indiana
    how big was it

5. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It was still a baby, not even 10 inches. Was a interesting catch since I never really seen a yellow catfish and it was caught off some new bait I was trying. Rippin Lipps

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  6. dbman150

dbman150 New Member

State:
    indiana
    are you sure it wasnt a bullhead

7. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Not sure, attached is a belly photo, its not the best picture, but shows the yellow. It seemed to have smaller eyes, and the head looked weird. I just remember how ugly it looked. It still could have been just a channel, I dunno. Of the six or seven I've caught at this location, this one was way different. when I released him, he went under a concrete block and just stayed there, thats kinda why I thought it was a flathead. Still new to catfishing, so I'm going to read up on them, so I can have a definite answer next time.

Attached Files:

8. dbman150

dbman150 New Member

State:
    indiana
    thats a bullhead

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yup bullhead.

welcome to the b.o.c.

where did you get the rippin lips bait?

10. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ordered it online. Think its only sold direct. Still trying to decide weather I like it or not. Initial thoughts was that it was nice because I bank fish, and can make a full cast without it falling off.

http://www.rippinlips.net/

So is a bullhead a rare fish around here, or just another fish ?

Thanks for the Welcome!

11. dbman150

dbman150 New Member

State:
    indiana
    not rare at all if i use worms and stink bait i get them by the ton they make great flathead bait

12. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Lol nice, if I would have know that I would have left him on and casted back out in search of that monster.

13. dbman150

dbman150 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i dont no of anyone that has caught a flathead there i could take you to some spots but would have to blind fold you :wink:

14. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    I bet you think he's kidding:wink: Welcome to the boc.

15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thanks for the link Bryan. i have a friend trying it out now. "danny kings" punch bait blood flavor does real good in the joe,i know that for a fact.:wink: still hard to beat a nice fresh chunk o somthin bloody though. lol

16. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah Dennis, that would be cool if you would take me out sometime. I wouldn't steal your spot though, I would prob see whats good around it and try to find another place like it elsewhere. Do you bank fish or own a boat or whatnot? Whats the biggest fish you have caught here in town ?

17. dbman150

dbman150 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have 2 boats but i like to bank fish also i am going to fish the maumee 2marrow your more then welcome to come if you like

18. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    good luck on the fishing guys, I was just up in Fort Wayne for a wedding for a family member and they had it in Shoaff Park...thought it was ironic that I live 4 hours away and lo and behold someone on the BOC was probably fishing near me while I was sitting in a wedding wishin I was fishin!:smile2:

19. dbman150

dbman150 New Member

State:
    indiana
    thats funny right there

20. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah, I still haven't found out why I need 10 post to send a private message