Fort Smith Van Buren Arkansas River

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Keifer5150, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Keifer5150

Keifer5150 New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Hey I have Just found the site and it looks great.
    I am Just getting my boat ready for the year and would like some info on the river and other lakes in the area to fish for catfish
    For right now I would like to say close to home in the VB and FS area.

My Baot is a Small boat 14 foot simi V bottom with a 9 Hp Merc.
    I know I can not get in the Middle of river and fish. I am looking for some good back holes and such to find fish in with out getting out in middle of the river and killing myself.

any info would help me and Good Luck Guys

May your lines be full of slime
    Keith

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam

Welcome to the Hood!!!!:tounge_out: Not much back water for a small boat from dam 14 to barling there is a little down toward barling dam by the big electric high line wires where they cross the river you can see the cut on the side:wink:

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Dont' know your area Keith but would like to welcome you to the BOC. Always glad to get another Arkie brother here.

We will be having a BOC gathering at lake De Gray the weekend of May 1st.
    Hope you will decide to join us there. We would be glad to have you join us.
    We will be camping at the state park there in area C.

You can check out all the details of the Gathering in the Gatherings threads.

Once again Welcome to the BOC.

Kev

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Hope to see you at Degray.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Keith! When I first started fishing the Arkansas River, back in 1984, I used my father-in-law's standard 14' jonboat that had a 36" bottom, and his 6hp Mercury outboard. When I was able to buy my own jonboat, I used a 9.9hp for 2 or 3 years before I was able to move up to a 15hp. I'd say that as long as you don't try to get up in the bad water below the dams, or run the river when it's in flood, you should be able to fish anywhere on the river you want...you just can't be in a hurry to get anywhere.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Keith. Like Jerry said, don't get in the bad water, watch for barge traffic, wear your life jacket and enjoy the river. A man with common since in a small boat is luckier than a fool in a big boat.

7. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    The clear creek area might be good in kibler

8. Keifer5150

Keifer5150 New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Thanks for the info om the river Guys.
    I will talk to my Twin Brother and see about comeing down for the lake degray thing.
    I think that if I watch my weather and dont let wind or the storms get me and dont try to go out in rough water. I think I will play it safe and look things over well before we go jumping out in it.

I am making a run to sallisaw to pick up some Secret 7 over there.
    I thought about cheeking out Sallisaw creek and the Mouth opening in to Kerr lake we did good there back in the day. when I was a kid.

slime on the line
    Keith