Fort Sill/Lawton area

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by armyfisher, Sep 27, 2008.

1. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    I was stationed at fort sill for 3 years and didn't pick up cat fishing until literaly my last week at fort sill before i moved to Fort Gordon GA. I've had a lot of luck down here in GA from using homemade baits/sardines/bream/and pretty much anything else. Well i'm taking a trip back to Ft. Sill/Lawton area here in about a month. I was wondering if anyone here has any insight into fishing on the base or in the lawton area. For GA you can use pretty much whatever you catch for bait in the same body of water you are fishing in, can you do the same in oklahoma? I know between missouri and oklahoma there are some huge cats just lurking around i aint gunning for the bigens unless they wanna dance with my rod. So if anyone has any insight into the fishing on base or off i prefer on base but if all yall got in off base thats fine by me. Thanks a lot brothers keep um lines in the water.:smile2:

2. quickmichael

quickmichael New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    First of all I want to thank you and all the men and women in the arm forces for what you are doing to keep our country free. For fishing you have lake ellisworth which is a great cat fishing lake. When my son was station their I would drive down and we would fish the creek that fed the lake. We always did well. good luck and hope you catch a bunch

3. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    When I was a kid i fished most of the lakes in the Witchita Mts. But, that was so long ago that no doubt many things have changed.

One spot that was seldom fished at that time, and was a good spot, was Lake Rush, just west of the Easter Pagent (The Holy City) area, and northwest of Lake Jed Johnson.

Here is a map showing the area.

http://www.wichitamountains.org/refugeimg/wmwrmap1b.jpg

Good luck,

4. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Hello David,

As far as on Ft. Sill there are a few small lakes/large ponds out there but I don't know much about them. They tore down the old dam at Lake Elmer Thomas and built a new one a little over 20 years ago, I think it was. They restocked it with bass, crappie, bluegills, and blues and channels, if I remember right. If you ask anyone about it refer to it as LETRA (Lake Elmer Thomas Recreation Area) because some people don't know it by any other name and they'll look at you funny if you call it 'Elmer Thomas'. Basically, 'half' of it is on Ft. Sill and 'half' is not.

Like Bill said, there's the Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge and several decent but small lakes out there. The refuge is actually the oldest one in the national parks system, but somebody somewhere else complained I guess so it's not listed as the 'oldest' wildlife refuge merely because it was originally called a national 'forest'. Oh well.

Most of the early improvements on the refuge such as the original road to the top of Mt. Scott and all the dams which are still there, and the original campgrounds were built back during the depression days of the CCC and the WPA and some are still there, I think. Nice scenery out there, anyways.

Lake Lawtonka has some nice fish I've always heard but I've never fished it much at all... it's a watersports lake, primarily.

Lake Ellsworth has yielded a lot of catfish over the years and even a couple of state record blues in days gone by. 84 lb'er was the last one I think. The crappie fishing used to be real good at Ellsworth a few decades ago but it's dropped off quite a bit over the years it seems. The gar and carp populations have increased over the years quite a bit more than I care for them to have, but it's not like the fishery needs my permission...

Wherever you go... good luck and enjoy yourself!

Dave

5. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Elmer Thomas dam was completed in 1993 and opened to fishing in 1995. Military personel refer to it as LETRA but most civilians refer to it as Lake Elmer Thomas.

Here's a few links that might help:

Wichita Mountains official website... http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/oklahoma/wichitamountains/

Wichita Mountains fish species... http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/oklahoma/wichitamountains/pdf_files/fishlist.pdf

Some Oklahoma lake maps... http://www.owrb.ok.gov/news/publications/wa/wa.php