The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I made a similar post last year and had a few replies. I'm stationed on Fort Riley and I'm trying to get on some fish. Specifically Flathead. I checked out Rocky Ford and had some luck there. I've also fished a spot or two on the Kaw and have had 0 luck. Fishing with a mix of chubs, gills, shad. Not asking for your ancient family secrets, just somewhere I can go on my days off duty and luck into a decent flatty or two. Back home I used to slay the big boys on the Ohio River but it seems here all anyone cares about is Blues. I plan on going out this Friday to Rocky Ford again if no one has any other suggestions. If anyone wants to tag along y'all are welcomed. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The holes change on the upper KAW all the time. The flats are out feeding you just have to find a hole. Rocky Ford will have lots of fishermen now but most are not rigged for big flats but tangle you up. A canoe or small Jon boat can get you out from the ramp to find holes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The holes change on the upper KAW all the time. The flats are out feeding you just have to find a hole. Rocky Ford will have lots of fishermen now but most are not rigged for big flats but tangle you up. A canoe or small Jon boat can get you out from the ramp to find holes.
I found a real nice spot just by using google maps. Intersection of the Smokey Hill and the Blue. Caught 4 flathead but they were all smaller. Water was so shallow where I was catching them that every time I set the hook I would see the fish splash. I feel confident that when we get some good rain and the water comes up it will produce. Until then I’m going to try fishing the river pond at tuttle.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Where the Big Blue runs into the Kaw right now is a good spot. Just up from where they meet is a channel along that bank and a small log jam. Walking the linear trail is easier then about half way through the bend you can cut down through to the bank. A cart helps transport your gear. Google it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love mouths. I fished the junction of Smokey hill and republican and did good. Just no size to them. I found the spot your talking about on a map. Where do you park usually?
Where the Big Blue runs into the Kaw right now is a good spot. Just up from where they meet is a channel along that bank and a small log jam. Walking the linear trail is easier then about half way through the bend you can cut down through to the bank. A cart helps transport your gear. Google it.
ove

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I park up up where Hy 24 crosses the Big Blue. A cart / wagon and you can walk down the linear trail easy and haul your gear. I have a canoe and ride down and back. There is an Island across from the junction of blue and kaw and the tail end of it is great. Pulled several over 60 out of there in the summer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot ! Now we just need some rain so the river is actually fishable haha. The water was so shallow last weekend that every time I would set the hook I would see the fish splash out of the water, even in the middle of the river

1 - 10 of 10 Posts