Fort Leavenworth "Lake"

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by jgarner, Jul 15, 2008.

1. jgarner

jgarner New Member

State:
    Kansas-Leavenworth/Topeka
    the wife and i hit up the ponds known as lakes on fort leavenworth this evening right around dusk...we managed to pull in 7 rather small (1-2 lbs) channels...she got 6 (the only fish she's caught in the last 4-5 years) and i only got 1...they were biting really good, and really hard, but for some reason i couldn't set the hook on the bites:angry:...any advice on that?? i thought it might be because they're so small, but then again, i'm new to the catfishin' game...

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I love it when my wife outfishes me..................as long as I catch fish also. Sounds like a good trip overall. Congrats and keep us posted

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Downsize your hooks if all your catching is small ones. :big_smile:

4. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    How are you doing J? You need to try using some circle hooks just like what me and erik was using.

5. jgarner

jgarner New Member

State:
    i thought that might help so i picked some up yesterday, i'm gonna try and go back out there tonight and get that one that kept nearly pulling my pole in...probably isn't too big, but i wanna find out:wink:!!!

how ya been shawn?! tell the wifey i say hello and good luck with your little one man!! if you're ever in the area give me a call and we can go hit the missouri river...

6. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    I will take you up on the offer brother. Little one is doing good and should be here in a few months. LMK how those hooks work.

7. jgarner

jgarner New Member

State:
    well i tried the circle hooks and that didn't work so i switched to a size 6 treble instead of a 4 and bam!!! together the wife and i pulled in about 30 lbs of channel tonight...they all went right back in so i can get em tomorrow!!! i'm using those little red worms with the sponge on the end, and i took the sponge off and after that not a single one got away...except those that jerked so much they knocked my knot loose...if anyone can give me some pointers on tying on those hooks i'd appreciate it!! thanks for all the advice from everyone!!! if i find any tricks i'll be sure to post them here!!!

8. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    do a search for threads about knots or just go through the member library and you should find what yer lookin for. some knots work better or worse on mono or braid.

9. jgarner

jgarner New Member

State:
    well tonight i made the switch to circle hooks again cuz the premo and lucky 7 wasn't stickin to the worms on the trebles...i just put a sponge on a circle hook with my hook set about 6 inches from my weight and it did me some good!!! i've got a new PB- 5lb 1oz! well that is all for tonight!!!

10. deerhunter56

deerhunter56 Guest

heres some of the fish i have caught off fort

Attached Files:

11. deerhunter56

deerhunter56 Guest

heres some more.

Attached Files:

12. deerhunter56

deerhunter56 Guest

heres the last one.

Attached Files: