Fort Gibson

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Larry Collier, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    I just got off the phone with my brother who had a dismall bass fishing report.
    About a week back there was a bass tournament here with 44 boats. That's 88 anglers! By the end of the tournament there had been 5 fish weighed in at the ramp! Conditions were tough with high winds, cold weather and a falling barometer so it's understandable that fishing was tough. But, only 5 fish that met the length limit? :eek:oooh:

According to reports the good news is spoonbills are moving into the river. As a general rule Mothers Day (give or take a week depending on warming) marks spoon snagging here.
    Blues/channels seem to be slightly more active than in the past few weeks hitting cut bait and live shad if you can find them.
    Crappie are starting to be a little more shallow in about 12 -15 feet of water but not very aggresive.
    Sandbass are scattered which seems to be the norm but should show improvement in about two weeks. Because the gulls aren't dependable in windy conditions a locator must be used to locate pods of baitfish. Trolling around the pods with heavy bucktails or lead spoons can be productive.
    IF the sandies have a feeding frenzie bouncing your bait off the bottom behind the school can produce large blues picking up scraps! The sandbassing has been disappointing the last few years in comparison to previous years, but this may be the year they come back in strength.

Overall the lake is beginning a turn around from winter conditions. Gibson, because of it's numerous shallow water flats in the upper half of the lake, is known to go from cold to spawn temperatures in a matter of a few weeks. The lower half of the lake usually follows about 2 weeks later.

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just got back from Ft. Gibson dam awhile ago. The gulls were everywhere! We got several hits from sandies, but couldn't keep anything on the hook. Lost some good rubber grubs though.

The spoonbills were nowhere to be seen, and no luck on bait. Just got some practice with the big rods before the runs. The trout fishing was great this morning though below tenkiller dam!

3. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Howdy Vince -- When I said up river I meant the north end of the lake! :smile2: Below the dam is a great place for sandbass when the water is running. It ain't bad even when the water isn't running! I've cought some nice stripers there also.
    "Back in the day" before they put the rocks at the base of the dam (alcatraz) off limits I would go there when the water was shut off and catch some huge cats! There were also scores of big crappie caught.
    I haven't been there in several years now but again "back in the day" when they were running water I would nose the boat just over the bouy cable and snag the cable with a homemade rebar grab hook. From there I could cast toward the turbins with a big bucktail under a weighted bobber and load up on sandies.
    It was a lot of work and tons of fun but it's a style of fishing for those younger than me. Loosing baits is a good thing! Whether your landing them or not at least you know you are in the fish! You might try inline spinners or using those plastics as trailers behind a bucktail. Reguardless, you'll have a blast below the dam.
    Dang if I ain't gettin the urge to go there myself :lol:

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well, hit me up. I try to go fishing at least once a week. Been doin alot of trout fishing during the last few months. They seem to bite anytime and are alot of fun since they started stocking the bigger ones. I took two home the other day over two pounds each. I haddn't fished the dam in a few years either, but remember when I used to, it was alot of fun. Can't wait till the fish start running up there good!