Fort Gibson Lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by TDawgNOk, Aug 15, 2005.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Cherokee County, 5 miles N of Fort Gibson, OK
    19,900 acres
    Shoreline: 225 miles

The lake was named for nearby Fort Gibson, which played an important role in the military history of Oklahoma.
    Fishing at Fort Gibson is excellent. Fish species include black bass, white bass, crappie and several varieties of catfish and panfish. Fort Gibson Public Hunting Area, on the lake near Wagoner, covers 21,798 acres, with 3,500 acres devoted to a waterfowl refuge. Hunters will find game species such as whitetail deer, bobwhite quail, mourning dove, waterfowl, geese cottontail rabbit, squirrel and prairie chicken.

Attached Files:

2. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok, anyone fish Ft Gibson?

We are supposed to go camping there around the 30th, hoping to know some good cat locations before we go.

3. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Tony,
    I've fished around the Choteau Bend- Mazie area on the north side of the lake and had some luck. Don't know much below there.

4. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thanks Mike,

Anyone else have info about Ft Gibson?

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Tony,

I fish Choteau Bend every spring for the sandbass and spoonbill run. It's great in the spring but I don't know how well it is this time of year. I've never fish the main body of the lake but I've been wanting to camp right below Ft. Gibson. There is a campground on the left side of the river right below the dam. You can put in right below the dam and fish the neosho(grand) river for the last eight miles until it reaches the three rivers area. This is good catfish, sandbass action. When the dam turns on the turbines it's like ringing a dinner bell for the sandies. I fish from shore time to time when I'm down that way and have caught LOTS of sandbass as they turn on the turbines. Also there is a boat ramp at the top of the dam so you can fish the main body of the lake also, which is only a couple hundred yards from below the dam campsite. If you do decide to fish down there I would keep this number with you 918-669-7521. This is the corps lake levels and release schedules. The website doesn't have release times where the recording will tell you when the turbines are turned on. Plan on being below the dam as they turn on the turbines on and you'll do well.

6. okie_kat

okie_kat New Member

State:
    Eufaula, Ok
    I fished the area from the railroad bridge up to the dam yesterday. You are right about the dinner bell. That part of the river is sure full of shad right now.