Fort Bragg in North Carolina

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rzrbk24, Jun 6, 2006.

1. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    Hi everybody. I'm new to the site and wondering if anybody fishes the Fort Bragg lakes.

James

2. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Didn't know they had any, but welcome. Are you military?

3. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    Yea I'm in the Air Force stationed at Pope AFB. Ft Bragg has a lot of lakes scattered all over the place. Just wondering where people are having luck at. I've had good luck at Wyatt Lake so far this year.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yes we do have a member that fishes them.
    I believe his screen name is 01mudslinger.

5. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have fished there before, but the fish are mostly small.

6. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    if you are at pope i would fish the cape fear river. you have a chance of catching larger fish and haveing a better time. if need help im me i be happy to help you.

7. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    Me and my fishin buddy have been thinkin about that. I dont know how to get out there but he does. I generally stay away from that side of town. Where's the best place to fish it from and what bait are you usin?

8. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I want to give Cape Fear a try, but I don't know where to start.

9. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger New Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    james, i am stationed here at bragg too, i havent really fished the lakes alot because when i had tried it was always too crowded, kinda defeated the purpose for fishing to me, couldnt really relax and driving around the lakes trying to squeeze into some little spot to get me a small piece of water. i believe the catfish lake in spring lake, andrews church is pretty descent so ive heard. but you can get to the cape fear by goin down bragg blvd. to the end, left on rowan street, follow it out a couple miles to north eastern blvd. and hang a right, then a left on person street, and you will go over the bridge and turn right to get into the ramp or the bait store.

10. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    I haven't had any luck at Andrews Church yet. It belongs to Bragg to even though it's off base. Wyatt isn't very crowded at night, but during the day you can't find a fishing hole like you said. I won't fish McKellar's anymore for the same reason. Me and my buddy are plannin a fishin trip to the river as soon as our wifey's will let us.

11. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hey James! Welcome to the BOC!

12. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger New Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    i ride around back in the woods around andrews alot, and check it the pond sometimes, if ya see a 01 dodge dakota dark blue with 33's and a toolbox in the back, give me a hollar

13. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I went out ot Wyatt today with my dad. All i caught was one channel around 4 pounds. I was using a medium 6-12 lb spinning outfit w/20 lb. braid though so it put up a good fight. The largest one I caught at Wyatt is 5 pounds, but i heard rumors of guys catching 30-40 pounders there. I wonder if they stocked the lakes yet :roll_eyes: .

14. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    ok... heres the deal with the bragg lakes... they stock with only channel cats... when you get your bragg license they will give you a map and it tells you about every lake on the back side of it... the biggest that my buddy and i have caught was about 8 pounds and that was a huge fish for a bragg lake... everyone that fishes out there calls in to the office all the time to find out when the lakes will get stocked... then they go out and hit the lakes hard, keep all they can, and wait for the next month's stockings... so all the ones you catch will be pretty small... alot of them will be good eatin size, but all the fish i've gotten from bragg tasted a bit funny... i think its prolly the food in the feeders... knowing the military, its the cheapest food that can be bought... lol... i live up in sanford, so i don't really fish bragg a whole lot anymore... but i would definatly try the cape fear... i just started fishing the cape fear up by me in sanford, i've had some really nice bites, but haven't gotten a good hookup on a fish yet... then again, i only have about 3 hours total fishing the river... lol... umm... yeah... i'll send you a pm with my email addy... you can't send pm's yet, but u can recieve them... i think its 20 posts before you can send pms... but yeah... just email me sometime... maybe we could go fishin... i'm always lookin for new people to fish with... and the more people the better, just so long as its not crowded.

15. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm not sure if you're familiar with Fayetteville, but down cliffdale road, there is a guy named Gus who has a bait & tackle shop. He used to have a wall of fishing pics and there were some 30-40 pounders, I could tell from the length and girth. He sells some of the best crawlers in the town too.

16. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    Yeah, I know where Gus's is. Havent been there this year yet, but I hear he's got some awesome catfish dip bait.

17. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    I mostly fish the Bragg lakes for bass or eatin sized catfish. i guess bass fishin is a sin on this site, but I dont care. I got plans on going to the river to catch some big uns soon. We'll probably go to lillington or the lock n dam in fayetteville.

18. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

I used to fish the catfish lakes hard when I was stationed there. I wouldn't necessarily say that all the catfish are small. I personally knew someone that pulled a 40 out of Wyatt(yes channel). I wouldn't fish McKellars, and I wouldn't fish any of them in the daytime. This was back in the mid 90's when all this was going on.

Somebody mentioned Gus Bait and Tackle. That is one fishing son of a gun. He took me crappie fishing one day at Sharon Harris
    (sp?) where he proceeded to catch three to my every one.LOL. Taught me how to jig fish...good man...glad to know he's still around...

Take care,
    Vic

19. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    yeah that's me who mentioned gus. He is a nice guy. I haven't been out fishing with him, but I have known him since I was 5. I am 14 now and he always thinks I'm 16 or 17 lol, cause I so tall and big (football). I go to his shop once a week to get some catfish bait and waxworms. Man I don't know whats up with fort bragg. We, me and my dad, went to McKellars today, and I only caught one brim on the catfish rod. The nighttime is best huh, I'll give that a try if my dad isn't too scared lol at Wyatt.

20. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    when the cape fear river calms down and i replace some of my tackle from the fire you can come down here and i will take you out to a nice spot not 5 mnutes from me and some nice cats. largest was a 58 lb flattie.