Forked Run State Park on the Ohio River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Jammer, May 13, 2007.

1. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My wife and I stopped by Forked Run to check out camping and the ramp into the Ohio River. Just west of the Belleville lock. The ramp was tore up and they were putting down tar and stone, I think they are going to pave it.
    Then at the campground, the had it all tore up. We couldn't get to any campsites. They are paving everything. I'm trying to find out when it may open, I wanted to camp there in June.
    The State is also repairing bridges in the area, Made it difficult to even get to the park. You have to come in from the west.

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Jammer, we had a gathering there a couple of years ago. I liked the camping for the most part but I couldnt stand how far it was from the river. I wanted a place where I could basicly wake up and go fishing without driving. It was nice tho.

If you go east on the river (about 2 miles) going towards Shade river near the WV side, there was some real good fishing there. One of the guys got a 35 lbr using cut gills.

3. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to camp there in the spring for turkey hunting and the fall for deer hunting. It was about 10yrs ago since my last trip there but I thought the camping was great. They had good spots for tents and campers and the showers were always clean. The lake had some nice fishing there too, at least for Bass which back then thats all I fished for. A lot may have changed since I was there last time.

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Dont get me wrong the camping was great I just thought that that it could have been better if it were closer to the River. I wanted to wake up and fish not drive to where I had to go. Other than that it was very clean, its a nice place.

5. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They must be finished with the work at Forked Run. I went to the ODNR site today and it said Forked Run re-opened on the 18th. Now, I just need to find some time to get down there, relax and do some fishing.