Forgotten Country Music Crooners

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mark J, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I was going through a rack of cheap CD's at Walmart last night. Most everything on this rack is 3-6 bucks and includes bluegrass, country, gospel, and some rock.
    I came across a Vern Gosdin CD. Now this is one of the greats in my opinion.
    His voice ranks right up there with George Jones and Conway Twitty.
    I dont think Gosdin has recorded since 1993 and has suffered two strokes but still manages a few shows a year. This is the country sound I was raised on.
    This pop country culture of today is why my radio never hits a country station anymore.

Picked up another off the same rack a few weeks back from a fellow by the name of Red Sovine. He had some great songs like Teddy Bear and Roses for Mama.

What are some of your favorite long forgotten country crooners?

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Mark,
    You named some good ones there! I saw Vern in 2000 I think it was or 99? Anyway, bless his heart, he was hanging in there. Have an autographed shirt somewhere. I saw George, Merle and Conway about 6 months before Conway passed away.

A few more favorites are:

Johnny Horton----Long Black Veil is one of my all time favorite songs
    Marty Robbins
    Porter Wagoner (?)
    Tammy Wynette
    Patsy Cline
    Hank Sr.

Forgot the Carter Family --That's not right.
    And Jimmie Rogers
    Cheryl

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Ummmm...the first two that come to mind are Don Williams and Crystal Gayle..loved their music.;)

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've heard about 4 renditions of long black veil.
    I love that song. I like it best in the bluegrass setting which I might be wrong but I believe it is originally a bluegrass or folk music song and first recorded by Lefty Frizzell.
    I believe the man who wrote the song played the piano in Frizzell's recording.
    Cant remember his name though.

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Mark I believe you are correct about Lefty. He is another phenomenal country crooner.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    John Connelly was another favorite of mine.
    Rose colored glasses and American trilogy some of my favorite songs of his.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    The Carter Family are among a few of the hardest CD's to find. I've seen one so far. I googled them not long ago and there is a 2 box sets of there music that I want.

8. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's good classic country music.I don't listen to any of the newer country but I grew up on the old classics.Long Black Veil is also one of my alltime favorites.It is the second song I ever learned to play on the guitar right after House Of The Rising Sun.Yep,the piano player on Lefty's original version was a co-writer of the song.Wilkens I think was his last name he had a funny first name(sounded like a girls) but I can't remember it.He wrote the song with Danny Dill.

9. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    OK,I cheated I had to go look at the name.(Marijohn Wilkin)

I love the old Carter Family music myself.When I was learning to play my Grandmother insisted I learn to finger pick like Mama Maybelle.I can't play it quite like she did but I can finger pick em.My Mom plays autoharp(so do I) and we still play alot of their old songs with me on guitar.

10. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    For those of you with an interest, a lot of the older, real hard to find country music CAN (usually) be had through Earnest Tubb's Record Shop. They have on-line services.

Mike

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Vern Gosden and Don Williams are two of my favorites. John Connely is up there too with "Miss Emily's Picture" and "I don't remember loving you".

How about a real oldy like Walter Brennan's "Old Rivers"?

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I hear you Mark. Country is not what it used to be. I was raised on The Kendals, johnny Paycheck, Ronnie Milsap, Crystal Gayle. Now we have that rock a billy crap:confused:

13. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    don't forget the great Johnny Cash also Jimmy Dean

14. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    "Gentleman" Jim Reeves - Four Walls, He'll have to Go
    Johnny Horton - North To Alaska
    Eddie Arnold - Welcome to My World, Last Word in Lonesome
    Tex Ritter - Hillbilly Heaven
    Patsy Cline - Crazy, Walking After Midnight

Some of my favorites

15. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Thank God for the CD player. None of that stuff on the radio can be called country any more.

16. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I'll second Jim Reeves!!

Loved Johnny Horton and Marty Robins.

My parent belonged to the RCA Record club back in the late 60's or early 70's and all they ordered were country albums............so that's what I was raised on. I'm pretty sure my sister grabbed all the Patsy Cline vinyl:mad:

Haven't listened to country since Randy Travis was popular.

17. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
  18. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    yea, 14ct. mind was classic

19. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Very True...
    That new country stuff is not for me.

That's why I like "Hanks Place" on XM radio and Classic Country on cable. I have Hank Place playing on my computer right now as it is most times when I'm online! Right now... "The way it was in 51", Merle Haggard. ;)

20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Ah....Merle. Now that is music:) Classic Country is all I listen to. At work on my puter I play all my old music. Right now I have willie playing "Blue eyes crying in the rain". Some good music;) What happened to country:confused: