Foreign scents on your hands while fishing. What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Big Dav, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    This was brought up in another thread so I figured I would start a thread on it. My experiences with this was many years ago and was while catfishing.
    It killed a good bite for us and it did not take long to do it. Our first set up was before dark (pre bug spray) and we did really well. Once the polls that were baited first caught fish or had hits they were re-baited (after bug spray) and that bait never got a single hit. Each of the first set poles had either caught a fish or lost the bait from a missed fish. We figured the bite just turned off and moved after several hours. Moved up the lake and fished for hours with no more bites. On our way out he next morning we saw a boat in the area we had left several hours earlier. They were anchored off, we asked them if they had any luck. There reply was, had a very good night. I asked them what they were fishing for ( I already knew from the location and there set up). There reply, catfish, they had caught around 20 cats in that hole in just a few hours. My next question was what did you catch them on and they were using the same bait that we had been using, cut creek chubs or shrimp.

We left the reason at being they had better luck that we did. After talking to more veteran fisherman and reading on here years later about the affects of foreign scents like gas, sun screen, bug spray, etc. I have no doubt that the bug spray we had all over out hands from the practice of spraying or hands and then applying it to our faces had been a major contributor to our lack of success that night in a hole that continued to produce fish later in the night. Yes, maybe we gave up on the spot before we should have. I can say I have had much greater success in year since I started being more careful what I had on my hands when handling my bait and gear.

What are the thought of others about this and if you think it's all just in my head?
    Also what to you guys use to remove any type of scents from you hands?
    I am very careful about getting things on my hands but it does and will happen.

Thanks
    David

2. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    when i asked about it a while back alot of people had given they're opinions and had alot of feed back on here but i agree with you i beleive that certain scents on your hands can factor in greatly on a nights fishin trip. I've stopped smokin when i fish and try not to touch my bait without washin my hands off in what ever body of water i'm fishin. but i would like to see what all responses you get back.

3. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i lerned a lesson on smoking a few yrs ago my friend is a hevey smoker we took turns baiting his turn never produced as much after a few trips trying diferant things we came to this conclusion he uses rubber gloves now he tried to get me to do all the baiting thats why we got rubber gloves but some smells are worse than outhers but thats the biggest sence a catfish has is smell.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am a heavy smoker and it never seems to bother my baits.... I be tearing up some catfish. I think however that bug sprays, sunscreens and the like would not be good for your fishing success. I do wash my hands in the water that I am fishing in though. Once you get skipjack smell on your hands....not much else seems to penetrate that smell.:eek:oooh:

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the replies.
    I always "wash" my hands in the water I am fishing in as well. Well at the very best i will call it rinse my hands. I think the rubber gloves used for just baiting up and when handling the business end of you tackle would be a very good solution. Not being a wuss here but it would also help with the bait smell when trying to eat a snack int he boat. :big_smile::bad_smelly: I think that is something I will be adding to the necessary gear in the boat. Could not hurt and won't take up any real space.:0a24:

Most of my buddies are smokers and i am not about to let them think the smell is the reason I (sometimes) out fish them.:smile2: But i can see where that would be one of the smells that could end up on your hands and on the bait.:roll_eyes::0a36:
    Thanks
    David

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    If Im using deet or sunscreen I put it on at home and wash my hands really well. I only use deet on the bill of my hat to keep those gnats away. One thing I never do is get gas before fishing. I always get it the day before.

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i know a couple people that use hand sanitizer before baiting a hook but that stuff has a smell to it also so i dont know what to think about that...

8. nasty nate

nasty nate New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I hav used hand sanatizer many times while fishing and found that it has no effect on getting bites

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I 100% agree with John's post. Also that skippie smell lasts for a while...:crazy::smile2:

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    not sure on this but i dont chance it. dont use bug stuff and i stay away from gas lines and tank.

11. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i was told by ken freeman that useing alchol would cut smell and he has done pretty well catfishing.

12. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    Don't know about the sunscreen and bug spray but gas and oil can be a real turnoff for the kitties. I too avoid messin with it on the day I'm fishing.

13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I got no experience with using it, when I fish, but it smells bad, and taste horrible. Years ago I read about fishermen who chew tobacco spitting on their bait, and it would help. I never tried it. I smoke, don't have much luck. I fish with another guy who smokes, he does real good.

14. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I carry me some rubber gloves from the dollar store for baiting that away I can avoid the skippie smell.When I'm done fishing toss em in the trash

15. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    What kind of foreign scents are you talking about?

Aqua Velva? I wouldn't recomend it for fishing. :wink:

Rotten chicken livers, probably...

Bluegill blood, definately.....

I've noticed after a long night of catfishin' my hands reek....

And I think the catfish love it!

I don't wear sunblock or bug spray, I don't wear perfume fishing either, and I usually don't wash my hands the entire outing.

Yeah, that's gross, but this is Catfishing!

And always be sure your bait stinks so danged bad the fish won't notice anything else!

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Smell on your hands will most certainly turn off catfish..When I have to use bug repellent I am very carefull not to get it on my hands..Same with gasoline ..If I am fishing a sandy area I will rub my hands in the sand and wash them in the river several times during the night..The sand will scrub your hands clean.

17. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I took some wd-40 with me to clean my hands with. Seems to work.

18. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    My personal opinion is if the cats are aggressively feeding, I dont think anything will stop them from eating whats put in front of them. However if the bite is slow then we may have something here. rspd507

19. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    My wife, when asked what will get the smell of onions off, said, "Vinegar".

She's a smart girl, so I'm gonna try it...gasoline would be the acid test, I'd think.

20. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    I've never put much stock in it myself. I don't think it really matters.

J.