Foreign fruit.....yes, they have weird bananas.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catgirl, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

In my never ending quest to discover something different, I have wandered around my local store's produce department numerous times looking at this and that. I realized that there are lots of fruits I've never tasted, a few times it's been one I've never even SEEN before. I stood there yesterday evenin' studyin' the banana section......regular, baby, and red bananas. I don't even EAT bananas, but I was having a LakeNormanBlues wondering moment. Wondered if the other two's taste/texture is like a regular banana's, and if not, could someone describe them to me.? Are there any other good new or different fruits folks should purchase?
    We need a "why to buy and try" explanation please. :0a36:

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    BEST WAY ,BUY ONE OF EACH AND TRY IT OUT :0a36:

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Tanya, baby bananas are just like the bigguns, just smaller. Never seen or heard of red ones. Ever tried a blood orange? They're seedless, and look like they have blood in them, but they taste like an orange.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    careful some of them I look like a bannana are plantains. Which are related to bannanas but are alot starchier and less sweet. I tried one raw once and it was nasty. They have to be cooked to be appreciated. Its easier eatin a nanner so I never bothered with plantain after that.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Paw Paw's taste a lot like bananas, at least to me they do. Gettin hard to find anymore around here.

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Ever tried a blood orange?

Matt, I've never tasted a raw blood orange. I've seen them, and a friend of my friend made her a cake for her birthday a couple years ago; it was a blood orange cake, and was delicious.

careful some of them I look like a bannana are plantains.

Yep Scott. I know what a plantain looks like, but I bet a lot of people don't. Never heard of eating them raw. "Daisy Cooks" (on PBS, I think she's from Puerto Rico?) was one of the first places I saw someone cook them. She made fried plantains and served 'em a couple different ways; as a side dish and as a dessert, dusted with powdered sugar and spices I think.

Wow, it WORKS!!! I did the copy and paste thing and brought quotes from two different members up here (from the posts underneath this typing box). I still miss multi-quote though, it's simpler. Be happy when that returns as an icon. :cool2:

7. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Howdy Catgirl, try Kiwi's. They're fun and good!
    Bigwhiskers

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I thought "Plantain" was a weed I have in my garden that I can't get rid of??? I have heard it made a good salad green, but have never tried it.

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Huh? Are you bein' serious or silly? I've never heard of that, but according to THIS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantain, sometimes the flowers are used in salad, soup, or fried; and the leaves as tamale wrappers or for plate presentation.

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I tried a blood orange once, thought it had a raspberry orange flavor. I've eaten a lot of different foods from around the world, I like it all. Always wondered why raw fish cost more than cooked fish. I got some potatoes at the grocery store a month ago, small bag of what they called finger potatoes, about 5 bucks for a small bag about a pound or two, next isle over was 3-4 bucks for a 10 lb bag, and the next isle was 2 bucks for a 10 lb bag, now thats more like it. Them little potatoes was good, but not worth that kinda money. Tried growin cherimoyas, but gotta polinate em when I'm at work, and they don't self polinate so well. Had durian, its pretty good, but the smell can be hard to get used to. Rambutan is different, so is longyans, I was comin back from overseas once, and at the last minute someone gave a big bag of em. I knew I couldn't get em thru customs so we ate em for the next 14 hours.

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    What you been eatin thats got you comin up with words like those? You been trying out the wrong type mushrooms?:wink:

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've tried several of the different fruits in the market and for the most part I like them. I've tried the blood oranges and really liked them. I've also tried the UGLY fruit and it was good too. They usually cost more so I don't get them often. So I usually just settle for the more common fruits such as apples and bananas and naval oranges.:crazy:

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Well I'll be! That stuff grows all around here, I never knew what it was called. Wonder what it tastes like? I can remember eatin' polk salad as a kid, grandaddy loved it.

Guess if you're not gonna use this type plantain as a food source, it would be irritating in a vegetable garden. I stopped tryin' to remove it from my flowerbed.....it's pretty and green, and kinda looks like hosta; plus it's almost impossible to PULL out without part of the tap root staying in the ground. So, the weeds and the flowers coexist happily so far - heck, once upon a time quite a few plants we now consider special were known as weeds.

14. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Tried some different types of mushrooms too, the finger potatoes was kinda little, different colors too, gold, purple, blue, and small red ones small white ones. kinda spendy. Durians, longyans, rambutan from SE asia and Cherimoya is from central america. They are pollinated by a bug that don't grow in the USA, gotta hand pollinate em or somethin, the flowers open in the daytime, then close up at nite. gotta collect the pollen then apply it the next day. They just don't self pollinate too good. taste good tho