fore!!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by baitchunker, Dec 11, 2007.

1. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i know this is an unlikely place for golfers. however, i am curious as to how many of yall play golf? i played as a kid with my grandfather(easiest way to see him). i have recently gotten back into it. mostly for the excuse to ride around on a cart and drink beer with my buddies. but, it is starting to become something else. i never would have pegged myself for the country club type, but i really like competing in a lazy man's sport. to date i have only been thrown off one course this year. (didnt know the guy was somebody important, oops!)

so... does anyone else play? or even play well?

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Yep, I play too. I come from a long line of golfers. My dad & uncle are both scratch-players & my dad was the Oklahoma high school medialist his senior year. Lead his team to the state championship, blah blah blah. My uncle can be so good sometimes that it's scary.

Both of their names start with "J" just like mine, so if I play a tournament somewhere & they see J. Lingle in their bracket, people automatically assume I'm a sandbagging cheater.:smile2: I play nothing like my dad or uncle. I can hit it a ton longer than either of them, but I can't putt for anything. If I were a good putter, there's been a few times in my life where i could've been a darn good golfer. But I'm no putter, so I'm not much of a golfer usually.

I've played pretty faithfully since I was 6 years old. You'd think I would be a better golfer by now. There was a time when I lived close to my in-laws that I played nearly everyday. I got pretty salty then. I got my handicap down to a 6 at the time and could have flashes of true brilliance, but that was a while ago. I still play a few tournaments each year with friends. Basically, just so we can knock down a few brews & try to come away with bragging rights at times. I still manage to win a few "hole prizes" like closest to pin, or longest drive when we play, but I rarely win much tournament money. Let's face it, if you can't win a tournament outright, then it comes down to who can position themselves the best for the 2nd day's play. In other words, who can sandbag best the first day. Strategy is what makes tournaments fun anyway.

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    im gonna pull this thought outa left field and say that you are way better than me. i too, cant put to save my life. i am pretty good with the long ball. i hit a nice lil draw off of the tee, and i can be deadly with my long irons. for some reason, every thing within 150 yards of the pin is hopeless. i think i get too quick with my swing or something, i dunno. at any rate it is a lotta fun.

right now ive got a standing bet with some of my friends that whoever plays the worst the weekend b4, has to wear a pink shirt, and drink beer out of a pink hugger. other than that we just employ smack talk, no actually challenging bets.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I don't seem to find the time to play as much as I use to. We play a few tournaments through the summer still. It takes a lot of balls to play the way I do :smile2:. Actually had my hadicap down to 9 at one time. I'm probably about a bogey golfer now. It's an addicting sport to say the least. I've played most sports and it is also the most challenging sport that i've played.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I Tried it once. Could'nt keep my balls outa the rough even though I aimed for the hole. LOL!

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    we are talkin bout golfin right big G:wink:

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I only play golf an the Playstation,:smile2: But I'm pretty good at it lol. 23 under is my best. Have made albatross a few times.:roll_eyes:

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Was forced to play once ,hated the game [is it a real game lol],cant stand to watch it on tv either . For that matter I dont like any sports that are played with balls ,except baseball and my wife hates that ,so I dont even bother watchin it anymore . I guess whatever flips yer dress up.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    George,
    Judging by that beard I think your balls have probably been in the rough permanently since puberty...W

10. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I have to say..my first and only golfing trip had to be the dumbest thing I have ever paid to do..(well maybe that bungee jump out of the helicopter...but we wont go there..) to make a very long and boring story short..on the first tee off I finally hit the ball after 5-6 swings and it took off and hit one of them big mansions that were built right besides the course..it sounded like I hit a 55 gallon drum with my ball..all the guys started ducking and hiding behind the cart..I figured if they didnt want them hit they shouldnt have built them there..I finally made it to the 10th hole before I gave up and grabbed the beer cooler..:smile2::smile2:

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    J.D. I just said a little prayer for ya brother....
    If ya had asked anyone ever trap shoot with full auto; I'd a known you was ok, but it sounds like you are walking on the edge. I heard you were gonna be a dad, but are you running for office? Do the meds need adjusting?

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, I hope he doesn't go out there dressed in knickers, a polo shirt, and argyle socks...and one of those cute little sun visors lol!:crazy::confused2::roll_eyes:

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Baitchunker..... Yea I play some when we have daylight savings time out here in California..... I'm like you somewhat..... meet 4-5 guys at the end of he day.. and get in a round of 18 on a par 4 before the sun sinks.... More of a baseball swing for me...... we do this mid week and this way we can do the "honey do's" on the weekend.... or FISHING

Since I'm somewhat handicapped.... we take a cart, and its better for my "weak bladder" buddy...... lots of convienient trees....

bayrunner ray

14. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    oops, i posted twice. Must have a little S.C. in my blood. Read bottom post. LMAO

15. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    BG. Your alright in my book.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    I played with my Dad when I was a kid. Never had a desire to play golf since.
    I do play Min golf. Thats fun until I make those 18 hole guys eat dirt on a bounce off the monkey around the wheel hole in one.:smile2:

bout all I can tell ya, if you like it, go for it. Have some fun. Watch out for the ducks and pond when driving that cart and drinking beer.:smile2:

16. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Back in my younger days I went golfing pretty often! I was never very good, never took lessons and it was usually a good day if I got under 100 for 18 holes! :eek:oooh: I enjoyed trying and went with my close buddies and we would have a few beers and it would be fun. I discovered as I got a bit older and got married and had kids that the amount of free time I had dwindled to nothing plus golf just kept getting more expensive every year. Hell we could play 18 holes using our own pull carts for like $8.00 back when I was playing. Now I think your looking at at least $20 if not more. I'm talking just local courses and not your fancy ass places or clubs. So anyway I had to decide which of my hobbies I liked best and wanted to devote my free time to and I chose fishing :cool2: and gave up golf! I still have my clubs but it has been about 10 years since I last played!

17. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey jonathan. i wouldnt call what i do golfing. i would say that i hunt squirells with golf balls and try to purge all of the water out of the hazards by filling them with golf balls. i have also been accused of trying to move the bunker to an alternate location by moving the sand out of them with to many strokes. oh and my divots look like trenches. i did shoot and 84 on 9 holes once. :tounge_out: