Ford water pump

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by riverdawg-1, Aug 26, 2007.

1. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    1986 ford f-150 straight six, We are trying to replace the water pump and can't get the nut, fan clutch?, loose. anybody have any ideas?
    thanks
    chip

2. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    It's been awhile since I last changed one, but don't you have to turn the nut to the right to loosen? I'm thinking it has different threads so you turn it the opposite direction than what you normally would to loosen.

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Yes it does have reverse threads. We just couldn't keep the whole thing from moving, My buddy just went to auto zone to borrow a fan clutch removaltool
    thanks
    chip

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeh, the wrench set is pretty cheap and makes it easier. In a pinch, If you take a long pointed punch and put it on the edge of the nut angled towards the direction you want it to turn, in this case reverse thread, and give it a good rap with a hammer it will break it loose. Did it a couple times on my 91 before I got the wrenches..

Good Luck
    mike

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Neighbor did one awhile back that actually had a set screw. Hadn't seen that before.

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i use an air hammer...gently, of course. before you take the belt off, take a blunt airhammer punch and gently hammer on the off side of the nut. you are replacing the water pump, so you don't have to worry about damaging it.