Ford truck problems

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by River_monster91, Sep 21, 2007.

1. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well ive got a 1970 ford f100 with a 360 FE in it. while out cruising down the dirtroad heading to the huntin spot one morning it started to bog down real bad and as my luck went it died so i coasted over the the side of the road and started the 6 mile walk back to town. my uncle was driving down the road and i spotted him with 5 miles left to town so i had him pull me home.
    got home and got to lookin and its not hitting on cylenders 3 and 4. i figured it might be the points and condensers so i bought new parts for it and it still aint workin. i dont have the slightest clue what is wrong with...any ideas?

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    You might want to do a compression test on it. With the two cylinders not firing being next to each other they is a chance you might have a blown head gasket.

3. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd start with the basics, check the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, compression check, fuel filter/pump, could be a cracked head or simply just bad plugs.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    check the plugs and wires for sure ,and look for a cracked distributor/ or cap.

5. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    when you say its not hitting on cylinders 3 &4, do you mean spark? how did you come to the conclusion 3 and 4 was missing?

lay some info on me my friend and I'll try to help, I used to own a 70 f100, 360

6. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    i just put two new spark plugs in and its still missing....ive got a mechanic buddy of mine coming over in the next couple of days and ill see what he thinks...thanks for all of your help guys

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i'd check the cap & wires 1st

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if it is missing on those cuylinders i would say its your cap, but it could also be a blown head gasket. run a compression test and a leak down test and see what you can find out.

9. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    well i dont have to worry about it any more guys...i sold the truck. now i got me a 1990 ford ranger 4x4

10. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Any of you guys had any problems with your electric shift 4x4s ?? Ive got a 2005 F150 4x4 with electric shift and have had quite a few problems with it. Every time I go to use the 4 wheel low it either dont work, slips, or wont engage at all. Its still under warrenty, but seems like I have to put it in the shop all the time.

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ken, are you following the right procedure to get into 4L? I have to be in neutral before shifting into low range, and sometimes after I shift, I have to use the accelerator to turn the front axles just enough to get full engagement. As long as I do this everything works just fine.
    Maybe not much help, but thought I would toss it out there. Good luck. :big_smile:

12. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a F250 and I got the manual 4x4 shift on the floor. I know when mines in or out. Here in the land of snow and salt, I don't trust those electric jobs.

13. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Ken,
    I had a Ford Ranger that experienced similar problems with the auto locking hubs on it. What I did was just unhooked that feature and installed manual lockouts on it. Not as handy or easy to put in 4 wheel drive, but corrected the problem. I put warn lockouts on it and i think they were arond $100 bucks. Might be more now, that was a few years ago.

14. merlin6988

merlin6988 Guest

If it's under warranty have them check/test and or replace the Transfer case "Mode Switches". I'll put money on it that thats your problem...... Ford electrical parts were poorly produced from 1997-2006 But they will never admit to it, they'll just send out recall notices, and or fix the problem when the vehicles are finally brought in.

15. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    lol, it took me 3 fords to learn, hopefully you guys are smarter than me!!

16. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    auto -locking hubs would explain the intermittent concern, but not the slipping. they had a problem in the shift motors that would cause them not to shift at all. one tap with a hammer while someone was shifting it would get it working again. it'll work for another year or so until you dont use it for some time. but that dont explain the slipping concern either. sounds like a viscous coupling in the transfer case is smoked..I'm glad to see warranty works out for some people..

17. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    yea my 1990 ford ranger 4x4 with auto locking hubs/pushbutton 4x4 had some problems. it would stay engaged in 4lo, but i wiggled some wires that connected to the back of the push buttons and it works now. i think that a wire just wasnt fully connected, but i dont know nothing about them electronics.