Ford Ranger,how much boat will it handle?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by kyjake, Feb 7, 2008.

1. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I want to get a deep v aluminum boat for use in the Ohio river with high enough sides that the barges won't swamp me.Have a week Ranger and don't want one that will have trouble towing and pulling out of steep ramps but a 14-16 foot with motor from 10 to 40 hp.The truck should pull 1000 lb. or so.
    Jake

2. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I pull a 17 foot fiberglass V with my S10 v6.that's a lot of weight.

3. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    My buddy pulls a 18ft Stratos with a Ranger that has a 4.0L v6.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    THE RANGER IS WEAK AS U SAY go lite, HOOK UP TO SOMETHING AND MAKE A TEST RUN !!!

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Morning, what size engine do you have ? is it an automatic? does it have 4 wheel drive ?

I'll be able to tell ya alot more after I know the answers:cool2:

6. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    My Ranger is a 4 cyl. standard shift.If I could figure the weight of the outfit would have a better idea of what it will handle.Have pulled 1200 lb. with it Ok but would like to find something that would be 1000 lb. or less.
    Jake

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if it drags you in, you will know it just wasn't big enough!:eek:oooh: rollo

8. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    It's a Ford, I wouldn't haul more than this

[​IMG]

That's probably all she can take:wink:

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    With the 4 banger, i'd say stick to an aluminum boat....you could probably pull a jon boat of 16 to 18 foot fairly easy. I know my 14jon weighs about 300#.....300# for trailer, 100# for motor, plus any gear i have. My 4.3L V6 S10 doesn't even know its back there, so i'd say even with the 4 banger you could probably get something a little bigger than what i have. Fiberglass is heavy, i would stay away from them.

10. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have an '02 Ranger XLT 4x4 with the 4.6 liter engine.

I have on many occasions pulled my buddy's 18' Aluma Craft aluminum deep V...which has a 90 hp outboard on it. (Loaded with fishing gear, baitwells full of live perch and water, 3 full coolers, and camping gear for 3 or 4 days.

No problem at all...the truck still gets up and scoots even when going up a hill, or when you pass.

I pull my 16' boat behind it on a regular basis, and you can't even tell it's there.

Never was much of a Ford guy...I still have an '97 S-10 with a vortec 4.3 L (that's a really good motor)...but I got a great deal on the Ranger...with only 20K miles. 3 years later...after being ridden hard...no major problems.

If they're all like this one...I'd buy another Ford.

11. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I had a 15 ft fiberglass boat with a 35 hp on it, and I pulled it in and out of the ohio river with a 5 speed 4 cylinder ranger about 10 yrs ago. It struggled a little to pull it out , but that was mostly cause of the stick shift I think...Now i pull a 17 ft deep V tracker w/ 110 hp with a 6 cylinder SUV and it does fine. I lose some speed up hill, but I think thats to be expected, other than that it does fine, never a problem pulling it out of the water or anything..ANd when I say i lose speed im talking 5 to 10 mph till i get on top of the hill. I think you will be fine.

12. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I am in the same situation because I have an 05 Ford Ranger with M/T and a 2.3l for cylinder engine. My boat is a 16' welded aluminum jon boat. Usually I borrow my dad or brothers truck to pull it, but I think I'm going to buy a hitch and try hauling it with my truck. Hopefully all goes well. :big_smile:

13. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I have an 00 ranger 2wd 4 banger and I pull my 14' jon with an old 45hp chrysler with no problems.
    The truck before that was a 90 sunoma 2wd. Had no problems with that either. Before that was an 88 S10. No problems.
    I don't think you will have any problems.
    Hell I pulled a 14' al V bottom with mark 55 merc with a old chevy van.
    Used to be guys would put a trailer hitch on the family car and go to the river pulling a boat.
    You don't need a 4X4 to pull a boat.
    Of course there are some people that don't use common sense so maybe they ought to use a big truck.
    the best to ya
    just

14. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I'd be real careful pulling a boat with only a 4 cylinder motor and no 4-wheel drive on steep, slick ramps.

15. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks for all the input.Found Tracker's site this morning and found their outfits weighed more than I would have thought as even their 14' would go over 1500 lb. ready to fish,may have to get another truck.My Ranger has only 71,000 miles and gets 24 mpg.and hate to get rid of it.Will try to post spec. of boat was looking at.
    Jake

Tracker guide 14'
    Length 14' 3''
    Beam 74"
    Depth Inside 20"
    Transom Height 20"
    Bottom Width 61"
    Max. Recommended HP 40 HP
    Max. Person Capacity 4 Persons
    Max. Person Weight 600 Lbs.

Max. Weight Capacity 1020 Lbs.
    Hull Material 0.090 5052 Marine Alloy
    Weight (approx.) 640 Lbs.
    Fuel Capacity 6 Gallons
    Pkg Length w/ Transom Saver 19'
    Pkg Length w/o Transom Saver 17' 7''
    Package Width 6' 2''
    Package Weight (approx.) 1254 Lbs.
    Deadrise 8 degrees

16. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Thanks for the concern.
    Yeah if its muddy I gotta go somewhere else. But if its muddy the river is usually dropping and fishin ain't good anyway.
    I musta done it 50 plus times and never had a problem.
    have a good one
    just

17. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hello everybody this is a very helpful thread. I don't mean to change the subject do automatic trucks have more torque than standard.
    Was just wondering I own a 94 Ranger XL automatic with 3.0 engine.

Jaime

18. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I don't know from Rangers but I have a buddy who used to use an 88 4 banger 4 speed toyota tercel to tow his 15ft fiberglass, inboard, open bow runnabout. I don't know that he ever launched with it but I know he used it for a "yard dog" to pull it up out of the yard and to haul the boat to the shop.

Probably a bit much for that little car but it would do it and is still running. My son owns it now.

19. monstercatmatt

monstercatmatt New Member

State:
    n.c.
    jake ive got a 87 ford ranger with 4 cyl 5speed and a 14 ft vhull fiberglass boat and a 15hp johnson and it does awesome and still gets great gas milage so i hope this helps

20. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    I had a 94 ranger 2wd w/ 4 cyl. & 5 speed manual. It would pull my 14' Sea Ark w/ 25hp 4-stroke. But, it was slow going up hills and tricky on steep ramps. I had to pull an 1860 SeaArk SC w/ 70hp 2 stroke and that was almost dangerous up hills.