Ford explorer

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by FLOAT TRIP WILLIE, Jun 29, 2007.

1. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I got a v8 explorer w/AWD
    the other day I move my boat the front wheels started spinning,but the back didnt do anything. how do AWD works?:sad2:

2. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Don't know man don't sound good. You got a transmision and a transfer case. The only way that you're not getting power to the rear is if the shaft between the transmission and transfer case is stripped. But I can't be positive on how your drivetran works.

3. nemad9

nemad9 New Member

State:
    wv
    what year is it?

4. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    first off i dont think the explorers are AWD. anyway sounds like the ujoints coming from the transfer to the differential might be locked or u might have a locked up differential does the vehicle drive with out towing something ?

5. fordman49450

fordman49450 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    if it's a V8 explorer than it's AWD it uses a viscous clutch in the transfer case to operate

6. chevyjames37

chevyjames37 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have an AWD mountaineer that did the same thing. And it was the viscous clutch inside the transfer case. I just bought a new t case from ford. Expensive, but its a ford, what do you expect.

7. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I drive a Ranger, but a viscous clutch used to transfer drivetrain power is stupid. They work good on fan clutches, but I wouldn't put one in a transfer case. Who's training these engineers anyway? From what I see, most of 'em are idiots!

8. chevyjames37

chevyjames37 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The viscous clutch in an awd vehicle keeps the drivetrain from "popping" when turning tight corners. My mountaineer has a locker in the rear, so this really helps for smoother operation!! I drove an explorer that was part time 4wd, and when it was in 4hi and you made a tight turn, the drivetrain would pop and the vehicle would jump. my mountaineer does not jump at all, thanks to this clutch in the transfer case. works kinda like a limited slip differential.

9. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    here is my solution. sell it and buy a chevy. :wink: no, seriously, if it has a viscous clutch then that could be your problem. they are known to go out every so often. what i think is happening is that your boats weight was all on your back tires, which took weight off of your front tires, in turn caused them to spin. when this happens the back tires picked up more of the load to keep the front tires from spinning (since this is how AWD W/ Traction Control works). I think the reason your back tires were not spinning was because they were able to grip better and thus pull out your boat. unless i am reading your post wrong. AWD w/ Traction control works like this. if you are on loose sand, mud, gravel, ice, or whatever and one or two tires lose traction, then the truck will divert power to the tires that still have traction to help prevent a spin out, slide, skid, and possible fatal accident. i hope this helps explain a little how it works.