Ford 640 Tractor - Where to find oil filters?

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Catfish_Commando, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    What is the best source to find routine maintenance items for older tractors?

Does a store carry them, or is it special order?

2. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Bush Hogging! Whoooo-Hoooooo! :embarassed:

35 H.P. Of Fury :wink:

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Paul how old is that tractor and does it have the screw on filter or the old steel canister one.

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    We have a guy at work who has a couple old Ford tractors and he gets parts locally but I don't know where right now. I'll find out where he gets them from and post it Monday.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Paul, our NAPA store carrys a really good selection of filters. I've had real good luck getting what I need from them. When I go to some of the other national chains and ask for a filter for a 1954 ford tractor, they just stand there and look stupid.
    No guarantee, but it's worth a shot.

6. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    The year is 1958-1960 Gas, not sure yet?

I see a filter that appears to be a screw on type, but also a cyclinder type inside a steel tube.

Supposedly the steel tube you leave some oil in the bottom to trap contaminents? It has two snap connectors for quick release.

Will be a fun ride learning :embarassed:

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Paul, I'm pretty sure the oil filter (screw-on) is a standard filter from napa, same as the one on my ford 601. The other filter you speak of is the air intake filter, which is probably an oil bath, wire mesh filter. Just drop it down, clean with diesel fuel or degreaser, refill with engine oil to the level mark inside the housing, and reinstall. That's the way mine is done.
    BTW, Ford tractor is now New Holland; should be a dealer somewhere in your area if you need them.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Paul, don't forget about the fuel filter. If it doesn't have one, put one on that ol' boy.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Paul NAPA supplies parts for a 1951 Super A.
    Just bought a coil and oil filter a few weeks ago right off the shelf.

Let me know if you dont have them locally, I'll check here.
    Aint nothing but farming going on in this area.

11. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    The NAPA stores do carry most of what you need or they can get it for you and Tractor Supply carries a lot of filters if you have one of those stores close to you.

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Order yourself a Manual from a place such as the above.They are a little steep,but will save you hundreds of dollars in just routine maintenance by being able to do it properly yourself.It will also save you thousands in repair bills in the long run.Often,just knowing that there is a grease nipple to lube under that caked on dirt is going to save you.If you have any doubt or just don;t know about previous maintenance,Drain,change,replace and do everything that you possibly can.Save your drained fluids separately,let settle for a couple of days.Pour off slowly and look carefully for metal,foreign material and such.Potential problems will often show up before actual failure.You will need the manual for the proper fluids to use.Also!Stop and ask several of your local farmers who or where is the best to take your tractor to if you should ever need repairs.Don;t forget the free Ga.Market Bulletin for equipment and possible parts as needed.Happy snake hunting with the bush hog.peewee-williams

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Paul, Alot of times a dealer will use a filter number on their tractors that are hard to cross over and can cost an arm and a leg. With the tractor being that old, the cross over should be easy. That tractor should have a canaster type filter on it. Once you get the filter out of it, it should have a number on it. Go to a parts store with the number and see if they have it or if they can cross it over for you. We use nothing but Baldwin Filters here on the farm and are well pleased with their preformance. Baldwin also has alot of the cross overs that we require for our new machines as well. We go to a truck supply place to get ours, they tend to stock more of the obscure filters for some reason.

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I believe the 640 was made from 1954-1957.The Jubilee in fifty three!Also sold in 1954.1954 was transition year and Jubilee and 640 was sold.640 was sold until 1957 transition year when 640 and 641 sold.641 was still being sold new when I went into the navy in 1962.I was raised on Grandpa's 53 Jubilee.Worked all of these tractors coming up.Also in Diesel,Tractor and heavy equipment school in 61 and 62.We had a lot of classes taught by visiting factory tractor and equipment manufactures.I am off my meds.as I am going to the doctor tomorrow.Nice to be able to think a little on my own.Mower adjustment.Adjust your linkage where your mower is level side to side.Adjust front to back where front is 1/2 to 1 inch lower in front.Adjust hight where mower and blades are out of dirt on level ground.It takes less horsepower to mow as you are only cutting the grass once in front over cutting and dragging all of the blade over all of it again when level.Less wear,tear and fuel.(1/4 inch does the same for your yard mower)You can sharpen blades in place by backing raised mower up to and sitting it down on STURDY SUPPORTS.You can then sharpen the blades(swinging?) by anchoring the blades with vice grip pliers and sharpening with a portable grinder while sitting or laying on your side or back.You most likely know all of this already.peewee-williams

15. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Little Bush Hogging today, slowly taking back the land :wink:

Attached Files:

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Paul that's neat.

Reminds me that I need to do some but it's too dry, bush hogging is a fire hazard up at our farm.

17. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Pee-Wee is 1 of 2 people that noticed the back tires are on back-wards :embarassed:

Will change them out soon....

18. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I love that tractor.Being I cain;t ride one,I would have to sit it in front of my easy chair and just watch it.I could enjoy that.Careful Paul!You can fall in love with your tractor.I have already noticed a few "Tractor Lovers"on here.It is just about as bad as the "Fishing Fever".When you find yourself talking to it,you got it.I hope you have a very understanding wife.She has some serious competition there.peewee-williams