Ford 150 cluch

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by smokey, Oct 25, 2009.

1. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have been driving and dodging for 45 years,and I have never had any problem with a cluch. Last week I was driving along In 5th gear. I was slowing down and it was time to down shift.when I did It felt like any other time I ever shifted, But the sucker went right to the floor.I sputtered home in 5th gear and made to my driveway.The frist thing I did was to check the fulid. It was a okay.Have I just had my cluch "go out"? If so how much will I have to spend to get her back on the road. If not how should I start trouble shooting this.any help would help.Thankx
    smokey

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Sounds like a problem with the clutch pedal linkage or hydraulic system to me. What year is it?

3. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Its a 1984 I think.
    smokey

4. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    usually when a linkage problem happens you'll feel something let go. i'd say the slave cylinder probably failed. if when you depressed the pedal you felt something pop or the resistance just gave out suddenly then it could have been the clutch fork breaking or the throw out bearing going through the clutch fingers. best bet would be to slide under the truck and have someone work the pedal while you watch for movement at the clutch fork.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    More than likely, if the slave cylinder failed, there would be a loss of fluid. The most common problem is that the clutch master cylinder failed. If the clutch were bad, you wouldn't have been able to drive it home.

There was a common failure in those years where the firewall breaks out where the cluch master cylinder attaches.

I'm betting on a bad master cylinder:wink:, keep us posted !!!!!!!!!!!

6. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Okay I looked under the dash, I found a little black box with a place where it hooks to a cable.I found where it bropke and took the box off the fire wall.It looks to me that all I need to do is replace the box and hook it up to the cable.Can I just take the box to napa will they know what I need? thankx
    smokey

7. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    truck year and model and the old part should fix u up

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Give me the specifics & I'll check it out for ya:wink: