Force motor

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Bushwhacker, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I am looking at a boat that has a Force motor, 75 horse 1997 model. I have been told they they are not good motors. I need some advice, motor seems to be in good shape runs good and supposedly has less than 300 hours on it.
    Thank you in advance

Bushwhacker

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Not everybody drives a Cadillac or Hummer either. They make things to fit a certain populations wallet. Force is just about as good as any comparable priced motor. Perhaps the gripes you have heard is from the guy who couldn't afford or didn't buy a Mercury or Evinrude.

3. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the reply. I have an old Mercury on my fishing boat, the force is on a pontoon I am looking at, which will be a fishing boat as well. Like I said it runs well, I am new to the boating scene and I had heard from a couple of people that the force had a bad reputation.
    Thanks again for the reply

Bushwhacker

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    What does Willard say about them motors?
    Dont walk, run from them.
    One of the issues you face with a Force is parts.
    The other issue is they are well known for not being good motors.

If I was buying used, I would use the fact that it has a Force on it to chew him down.
    Hes not selling a boat with a Mercury or Evinrude so dont pay Mercury and Evinrude prices. Get it cheap and motor shop.

5. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the reply,great information.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i have a 1988 spectrum 1700 aluminum fish and ski with a 50 horse force same year origional motor. i got it from my uncle 5 years ago and have had grat luck both with it and still getting parts. now older im not sure but i can get parts for mine.

i had in years past eased the boat in gear. made a grinding sound. well i ended up grinding the teeth on the clutch and front gear down till it slipped.

bobpaul diaganosed it for me and i bought a new clutch and front gear for it at TNT marine in bartonvill il. now i know to pop it in gear fast,lol. quicksilver makes the parts for mine now. it runs great and ive had no trouble other than the ones i caused. starts fine after the winter. heres an idea. call a local marine parts store and ask if they can order a clutch dog for that motor and see what they say. try a couple. or a piston. if they cant dont buy it,lol.

ive heard the same about force but so far mine is fine and a bood motor.

right now it sitting with a blown head gasket. my water pump went out and i lost compression. the motor was smoking and i thought it was gone and was trying to out run a storm with a trolling motor. after we got it home i took off the head and all looked fine. crosshatch was ok pistons looked good. only 33% compression. so to test it we put some gasket sealer on the old gasket. bolted it back on. hit the key and bam she started right up on the first rotation. so i shut her off. now if i can get a gasket,lol.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jermy, You have one of the 10% of those motors that was made on wed.:smile2:

8. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks Cats4 and Bubba for the info. I just don't know what to do. I like the boat and the price was right, now the motor has me a little confused. What good is a pontoon boat with a bad motor.
    Thanks again for the help fellas

9. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i have a 40 horse force on my boat and it does great. it is more fuel efficient then the merc i had on my old boat, and i have not had a problem yet with it. it depends how you run your motor most people beat the piss out of motors, run full throttle all the time, don't do quick shift transitions, dont use proper maintanence and winterizing techniques, try and use the same gas they had in the tank 2 years ago. and of course they don't want to admit it is their fault so they blame the brand. i've heard bad about merc, nissan, yammy, honda, evinrude, force, i've heard good about all them to.

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i have a 50hp force and an 85hp force both have many many hours in the water and do great!!! no problem getting parts iboats.com!! also carquest and napa autoparts stores can get parts for them so i dont know why any boat shop cant??? dont be scared of it.... take care of it and enjoy the ride!!

11. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks Big A and Fishinjunkie I think I will. The motor runs great and any of em can come apart at anytime. If parts are not a problem I don't have anything to worry about.
    Thanks again for the advice and
    Good catfishin to ya
    Bushwhacker

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I trust Bubba and I trust Bobpaul. Both are very knowledgeable with outboards with years of experience and schools between them.

If they say run from a Force I wont question it.
    I'll run.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    ( quote)i had in years past eased the boat in gear. made a grinding sound. well i ended up grinding the teeth on the clutch and front gear down till it slipped.

bobpaul diaganosed it for me and i bought a new clutch and front gear for it at TNT marine in bartonvill il. now i know to pop it in gear fast,lol. quicksilver makes the parts for mine now. it runs great and ive had no trouble other than the ones i caused. starts fine after the winter. heres an idea. call a local marine parts store and ask if they can order a clutch dog for that motor and see what they say. try a couple. or a piston. if they cant dont buy it,lol.

ive heard the same about force but so far mine is fine and a bood motor.

right now it sitting with a blown head gasket. my water pump went out and i lost compression. the motor was smoking and i thought it was gone and was trying to out run a storm with a trolling motor. after we got it home i took off the head and all looked fine. crosshatch was ok pistons looked good. only 33% compression. so to test it we put some gasket sealer on the old gasket. bolted it back on. hit the key and bam she started right up on the first rotation. so i shut her off. now if i can get a gasket,lol.[/QUOTE]

I dont have a dog in this fight but I do have to smile a little bit when I see the major concern about an engine is if parts are available!:big_smile:probably not a good sign.The above quote from Jeremy would also cause me to take a second look.So far that engine has a new clutch,gear,and now needs a water pump and head gasket and has been run in an overheated condition.Like most things, if the engine on the pontoon has been well cared for you shouldnt have a problem if it hasnt then it wont matter what brand it is.Caveat Emptor!!!!!:big_smile::smile2:

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Well I hope it serves you well like these others did. As for availability of parts. That is an iffy question. Those parts have been discontinued and when the wear houses run out then they are out. Its off to the bone yard. Of the few that has posted here saying their force engines have served them ell I can show you thousands, and yes I said thousands that are in the scrap pile from overheats. Its not my money or my time its your to do with as you decide.
    I will think the same of you as I did before the purchase of it. I am not here to convince any one to think on the same terms as I do. I will only offer advise on a subject that I am asked about.
    In my own personal world I would not buy a force the odds out weigh the good. With that said I hope you have a lot of good trouble free days out of it.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yes but the clutch was my fault. now has new one and gear. i only replace the impellor last season and it hadnt had a new one since my uncle bought it in 1999. i should have replaced the housing cause it didnt look the best.overheated and still runs. ide say shes a solid motor.:wink:

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    DON'T LET MY QUOTE AFFECT YOU. IN THE CONTRARY. THE CLUTCH WAS FINE WHEN I GOT IT. I EASED INTO GEAR. THATS MY FAULT. I JUST HAD NEVER KNOW BETTER. THATS WHAT GRINDED. YOUR SUPPOSED TO ENGAGE THE GEAR WITH NO HESITATION. YOU HAVE MIS READ OR UNDERSTOOD MY POST. I CAUSED THE PROBLEM IN MY MOTOR AND AFTER I DID I FOUND PARTS. I WAS IMPLYING THAT I SCREWED MINE UP AND FOUND PARTS FOR IT. NOT THAT IT WAS JUNK. IT STILL RUNS FINE AND IM CONFIDENT WITH TAKING IT OUT AS SOON AS I REPLACE THE GASKET. IT DIDN'T HAESITATE TO START IMMED AFTER SEALING IT TO TEST IT. AND DONT WORRY ABOUT BUYING MY OVERHEATED FORCE. MY BOAT "IN THE BACKGROUNG OF MY PROFILE PIC" ISNT FOR SALE.:cool2:

P.S. IF YA GRIND THE GEARS LONG ENOUGH IN A BMW THE TRANY WILL SLIP IN IT TOO.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well i was in the mood last night to find out why my force quit pumping. the impellor housing was seriously pitted. i took it apart last night to diagnose. i assume it lost suction.

18. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Once again, The motor runs fine, Remember it is on a pontoon boat, it runs about 6000 rpm at a nice cruising speed, is this a problem!!!!:big_smile:

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jeremy ,chill dude!!!!! I was just pulling your leg a little bit!!!!!:big_smile::smile2:If you are happy, I am happy with your engine.Besides what Bubba didnt tell you is that thousands of Force engines are still in use today:AS ANCHORS!!!!!!!!!:smile2::big_smile:It doesnt matter what engine you have as long as you take care of it and dont grind the gears HAHAHAHAHAHA.You are also right about the BMW!:smile2:

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    no i got 1/2 through the post when i seen it was "caps" locked .i wasnt yelling. i just wanted him to know that the problems i had, i caused and i could get parts.

im ready to get it going so i think ill take my head off tonight. the boat head that is ,lol. then i just have to get the new housing and gasket or make one from copper.