For Those Who Like A Good *I'm A Moron* Story

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Sep 14, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey....... it happens. MOST OF US wouldn't fess up that easily though. But you have to admit that was a doozy. Almost funny but not even really funny at all. Hope you and boat have recovered from your 'incident'. :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

maybe you should have just used your car to push it back in the water before anyone saw you.

2. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Last night I dropped the boat at our room and started to drive off with the chains still attached. Day before that I tried to pull off the trailer with the safety strap still on. It happens, don't beat yourself up!:tounge_out:

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yup, I backed down the ramp to put the boat on the trailer one time and noticed the boat 100 yards down river and still going. Got in a hurry and didn't stomp the anchor in the mud like I should have when I went up to get the truck. We've all had great moments at the ramp we're glad weren't caught on film.:wink:

4. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Last weekend down on Lake Norfork in Arkansas, my buddy had put a new prop on his 18ft Tracker TX/60hp rig and picked up 7 mph for a new top speed of 41mph. Not only did it improve the top speed but he also claims the boat now "doesn't slow down when you back out of the throttle". When returning to camp and headed straight for the beach, he backed out of the throttle but the boat kept going...all the way onto the beach...the only thing touching water was the drive. 3 of us couldn't get it back into the water...we had to hook up to a pontoon boat and pull it off the beach and into the water...and this guy was in the Navy.

5. Skunk River Cat

Skunk River Cat New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well, like grandad used to say. "Some day's you eat the bear and some day's the bear eats you."

Hope you and the boat are well.

6. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Branden was wondering how did you get that boat back. Notice you just might be trying to keep up with cuz on the avatar changes.

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I was knee-deep in the river on the ramp, cursing very loudly, and one of the guys I see at the ramp a lot idled up behind me in his boat and nonchalantly asks if I need a ride:big_smile: Drove me up to my boat and I got it back.

Nah, I'm done changing avatars for awhile, I was going through some pix today and found this one of me and the kid downtown. :wink:

8. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Good choice of pics Branden just razzing you a little. Figured some good samaritan saved your day lol :smile2::smile2::tounge_out:

9. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Shoot, this website doesn't have enough space for all the stupidity I've fallen into. Bray (wood18) has managed to see some of my ignorance while fishing & hunting, but the best stuff I've kept for myself.

Like the time I was walking out through the woods after catfishing in a creek & didn't notice that my line was flowing out through my open bail on my reel until about the time the dangling hook ran right into my finger.... now I'm stuck with a fish hook in my finger and a few hundred feet of fishing line tangled back through the woods... brilliant. I could hardly breathe without the fish hook burying deeper.

How 'bout the time I fell off the log & splashed into the river, right between Bray & another one of our buddies. I'd just finished saying "one of these days, I'm really gonna bust my @$$ right here" sure enough, kerplunk!!!

Or the time I ran over a rattlesnake & decided to go back & get it... and my buddy Josh talked me into at least pulling one boot back on to catch a rattlesnake. It was a good thing he did, because that was the foot that got struck.

Or the time I was fishing below the Texoma dam throwing a 1 oz bucktail jig on a spinning rod that was way too light to be throwing it.... busted my own head open while my lovely girlfriend (now wife) tried hard to act compassionate & caring.

There was also the time that I missed my first buck at only about 15 feet with a scoped browning .270 rifle. Luckily, Bray was there to witness that whole event. Okay, gotta tell the story. We were walking out a tree row & we'd decided that we would whistle if we saw a deer. Well, we got almost to the end of the tree row when I hear this hissing sound. Then I hear a hushed **HEY JERROD*** Bray had gotten so excited that he couldn't whistle! I look up to see a buck running directly at me in the tree row. I raise my rifle, the buck sees me & stops (undoubtedly thinking his days are through) and BOOM!!!!!! I promptly miss at point blank range. I ran to the edge of the tree row to see where he went, ran into a fence, which sprang me backwards while ripping the front out of my overalls. My grandma laughed about that deer hunt for 10 years.

Need I go on? Shake it off, amigo. We all do our share of pure-d stupid crap.

10. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Yep been there,MY first boat was a 14 ft tad pole with a 9.9 hp ,brand new Was putting it in the water ,the wife was backing it in I said woe ,she thought i said go and took off with a little less than half the boat on the trailer ,the front of the boat went sraight up in the air the motor hit the ramp and off came the boat ,boat motor and all setting dry on the ramp.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    LMAO!!! I was wondering if anyone else was going to notice his recent photo change :smile2:

12. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Yea i think i will change mine next week with that 100 lb blue i catch next weekendLOL!!!:smile2:

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    This sounds like a Fess Up Thread. I 'might' have tried to put the rig in the water with the tie down straps still attached.

Noticed, I said 'might' :wink:

For those that might want to try this method, it doesnt work. The boat will NOT leave the trailer. :embarassed:

14. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I know a guy that put his boat in the water without the drain plug. To make matters worse he was standing and talking to a bunch of guys before a tourny. And the topic of conversation was stupid stuff we did on the river

15. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    A couple of years ago,my buddy bought a boat, and asked me if I would come along to help him on it's maiden voyage. He had never owned a boat before, and wanted someone with experience to come along. So we get to the lake, and get out of the truck. I walk to the back of the boat, trim up the motor, and take off the transom saver. Then I put the plug in. My buddy was going around taking the tie downs off. I fininshed tightening up the plug, and he said we were ready. I then get in the truck, and back the boat into the water. The boat comes off the trailer, and I proceed driving up the ramp. Little did I know, that he didn't pull the tie down off of my side. I guess I could have done it, but lessons learned. All I know is by the time he got my attention, we already had two fins bent back on the stainless steel prop. Props are no match for a concrete boat ramp!:smile2:

16. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    Don't feel too bad, one time when launching in the Mississippi river I forgot to install the plug in a previous boat I owned. After pulling up the ramp, parking and walking back down I found my boat 1/4 full of water and filling fast.:eek:oooh: I hopped in, fired up the engine and ran up the river a ways letting the water drain out as I went. When empty, I installed the plug. :wink:

17. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Don't feel bad Cuz, I remember as a kid backing the boat in with my dad and not being able to figure out why the boat wouldn't come off the trailer. After walking out into the water we realized the trailer was floating under the boat because the straps were still attached. Oh and the first time out in my boat I forgot the plug. Was sitting on the bank while my girlfriend parked the truck/trailer, when she came down and got in she handed me my soda. When I put it in the cup holder I realized the plug was still in there, turned around and seen the back half of the boat full of water. Luckily we were sittin on the bank or I probably would of really freaked out.

18. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Crazy (Josh) saved me one time on a forgotten plug and didn't even know it. He called just as I backed the boat into the water. There was nobody around, so I was leaning on the bow of the boat with it still on the trailer talking to Josh on the phone and I heard this weird gurgling sound. Needless to say, the sound was water filling my boat because I'd forgotten the plug. It would have sank, too, because I was by myself and at the lake, so I would have taken it off the trailer, tied off on the courtesy dock, and it would have been under by the time I parked, checked the car, and got back down to the dock.....