For those who are still having trouble using circle hooks

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Jul 17, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I still read post where guys say they cant get a hook up using a circle hook.

Even though they let the rod load up and do everything right.

For those who have had trouble, and still want to try them make sure the circle hook has an offset point, meaning the point off the hook is not inline with the shank.

I can give you an example, the black 8/0 gama circle hooks I use have an off set point.

But the same gama 8/0 hook in red does not.

Many eagle claw circle hooks do not have an off set point, I believe it helps alot when using offset points.

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    glad up brought that up, im about to off set some circle rat naw.

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    make sure you are using a couple of sizes bigger than what you would use with a regular hook.
    i used to use 6/0 for flats and 4/0 for channels.now i use at least an 8/0 or 8/0 for flats and 6/0 for channels.
    also,try not to got too much of the bait on the hook.that way,the hook can set nto the corner of the mouth easier without the bait getting in the way.

4. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    BassMassey got me on circle hookswhen he was up here on vacation and I have not missed one fish since.When I get a pull down I'll give the reel a couple cranks when its still in the holder just to load it up even more and its on baby!!!.I've been usin Eagle Claw circle see offset 7/0 and Gama Oct offset circle 8/0s

I absolutly love circle hooks:big_smile:

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    with everybody swearin by them an me swearin at em..maybe i need more practice...ive missed dozens of fish on them though, but it could be ALL my fault but doubtful :tounge_out:

6. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm just startin to use them, haven't had a good hook-up yet, but I'm still a believer.

7. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    i have used circle hooks for 4 years now and i have had mixed results when using the Gamakatsu circle hooks, this year i switched over to the Mustad Demon Circle hooks and i have AWESOME luck with them so far !! I also like the Team Catfish Circle hooks !!!

8. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I also love the circle hooks, but I am starting to make the switch to kahle hooks... they work just like a circle hook but will also allow you to set the hook also.

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    sure is hard to fight the urge not to set the hook when that clicker starts buzzin!!

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Hang in there, it will come. Try to wait a second or two before even touching the rod. If a fish taps...dont touch it. Once you figure out the timing your brain will start clickin ; ) My rods on the bank are usually 10 or 20 feet from me so that prevents me from getting them too fast , LOL.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    As far as kahles.....not me, I've bent every kahle I've use straight. You hook em in the jaw bone good and they will straighten out...circles wont....Just my 2cents on them.

11. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    and one of the biggest problems i have had is having too much bait between the hook point and the shank not letting the hook penetrate like it should.

12. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Havnt Caught any Blues or Flats But all the channels i have caught have been on a Black 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus circles All i can say is they are GREAT hooks for my type of fishing, I Sit there and let the fish load the rod up while drinking my ICE COLD bud light then i get up and pull slowly up on the rod and if Shes on there ill reel her in if shes still "hittin It' Ill let em keep attackin that hook :smile2: One Thing I Am not happy with is last weekend hooked one in the upper mouth and went thro her eye :sad2: Also Agree about the offset on these hooks without that u might as well try settin the hook :eek:oooh:

13. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    try 6/0 for channels,i have never hooked one through the eye with one and the gap is plenty for them.i use the 8/0 and 9/0 for flats.

14. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    I have some 5/0 silver im not postive on who made these might be eagle claw but have had no luck with them they have the offset too. im goin to look for some 6/0 but really not lookin to catch the channels thier the only cat that likes me :smile2: better than nothing tho :big_smile: Thanks For The Tip

15. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks for the pointers!!

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    good post jack, all i use are gamma offset octopus circles 8/0 and rarly loose a fish:wink: