Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of who travel to stock up on skipjack, what time of year is best? Thinking about planning a weekend trip at some point.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Well I get mine at Ky. and Barkley dams. We have had good trips on stretches of 3 to 5 days of warmer than normal temps. in Feb but as a rule our best trips have came from April 15 to May 15. It's a crap shoot, my first trip this year I put 10 Skips in the cooler, my second trip I put over 100 in the cooler and gave somewhere around 40-50 to a man who was struggling with catching any (his first trip, he did not bring the correct gear). I advised one of our USCA members the bite was on and he planed a trip with a friend or two, seems he made the trip about 10 days after I did and they did not do well at all. I felt bad as was hoping they would have a banner day, they live about 4 hrs. further away than I do. I did have a local contact who used to let me know when the bite was on but I have not heard from him this year so I just went but it is only an hour and a half from my river camp so not like the guys traveling half a day.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I get mine at Ky. and Barkley dams. We have had good trips on stretches of 3 to 5 days of warmer than normal temps. in Feb but as a rule our best trips have came from April 15 to May 15. It's a crap shoot, my first trip this year I put 10 Skips in the cooler, my second trip I put over 100 in the cooler and gave somewhere around 40-50 to a man who was struggling with catching any (his first trip, he did not bring the correct gear). I advised one of our USCA members the bite was on and he planed a trip with a friend or two, seems he made the trip about 10 days after I did and they did not do well at all. I felt bad as was hoping they would have a banner day, they live about 4 hrs. further away than I do. I did have a local contact who used to let me know when the bite was on but I have not heard from him this year so I just went but it is only an hour and a half from my river camp so not like the guys traveling half a day.
Thanks! It sounds like I’ll just have to pick a likely time and just go. It’ll be a 6 hour drive for me. I know people talk about some around the Alton dam too. I need to do some digging in to there.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
1,070 Posts
It might depend on the exact location your wanting to catch them at. I know at some point they will run up to the dam to spawn.

Both catfish dave and kayak catfish have plenty of videos on how to catch them. Alot of these cover times when there not at the dam. I wouldnt go then though. I doubt you could load up on them out side of the spring run.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey I live close to Kentucky and Barkley Dam. We do the best on them from the third week of March though the first of June. They are still in there but are slowing down. We fished for them over Memorial Day weekend and caught about 20 in two hours. The dang gar kept chasing them off. Here’s a video I made of the day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts